Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
396 Posts
416 Winchester Express?

Zooly, even though I found the cartridge listed elsewhere, I can't find any history on it or a parent cartridge. At the turn of the 20th Century, a lot of different "Express" cartridges were tried in various calibers with the new smokeless powders.

I would suggest you contact the author who posted the picture of the cartridge - maybe he has some history or information on the origins of this cartridge. You should know, that Winchester produced quite a few '40' caliber cartridges in the late 19th/early 20th century too...

Stephen Ricciardelli

[email protected]

Some interesting Winchester & obsolete Cartridge Info on these two links below.

http://www.tsra.com/Winchest.htm

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.masterman/Gunsmoke2_files/ss-3.html

GOOD LUCK!

Here ya' go Zooly - the Win 416 Express.

zooly said:
I have just found a drawing of a ".416 Winchester Express" and am wondering, what is the parent case. The head diameter is shown as .540 case length 2.50 base to shoulder 2.069 shoulder angle 25 deg. Any guesses?

You can look at www.again.net/~steve/jpg/cd416winchesterexpress.jpg

Thanks

zooly

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,234 Posts
Looks like a .50-110 without a rim, or perhaps a .404 Jeffrey could be the parent case.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Gents:
This one's got me stumped. Most of the latest boomers, like the Dakotas and RUMs, are based on the .404 Jeffery case, but it's got a .546" base. A little too big. The WSMs are basically a rimless .50-110 or .348 Winchester, at .555".

On the smaller side, there's the old Newtons, 8x68S and a Lazzeroni or two at .530 or a bit less, and the even older Ross at .534".

The case design looks away too modern for anything Winchester would have designed at the turn of the last century. Newton and Rigby might have.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again:

I've checked with Steve at the site given, and he tells me that the .416 Winchester Express is based on the .404 Jeffery and is very close to the better known .416 Howell.

Zooly

·
Banned
396 Posts
What Rifle Was Chambered For IT??

Zooly, what Winchester Rifle (if any) was chambered for this round? I noted the resemblence to the old 404 Jeffrey's Rimless Nitro Express. They're very close. See lots more listed on this link:

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartspec.html

GOOD LUCK!

zooly said:
Hi again:

I've checked with Steve at the site given, and he tells me that the .416 Winchester Express is based on the .404 Jeffery and is very close to the better known .416 Howell.

Zooly

·
Registered
72 Posts
.416 Win Express

It was an experimental case that they developed in the early 1970s (it was never released however.....kind of went the way of their .408 Winchester from 1964). Ruger was considering the .416 Taylor as a production round and even built a few rifles in the mid-1970s. Thus, there seemed to be some interest in middle-bore magnums around this time.....unfortunately, it didn't catch on again until the .416 Remington in 1988.

Lee Martin
www.singleactions.com

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all, I'm new here.
According to Ken Howell in his book "Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges For Rifles and Handguns", he designed the .416 Winchester Express in 1979. After Dave LeGate drew the cartridge for Ken's submitted report to Winchester, Ken discovered some of his dimensions were in error. These are the dimensions as seen in the drawing provided by Gowge in his post above. LeGate redrew the cartridge with the corrections, but appearantly did not discard the original or mark it as incorrect. After his death a book with a collection of his drawings was published with this version in it.
Winchester was sold to USRAC before it could be developed.
Ken's corrected version became the .416 Howell. It is formed from .404 Jeffery brass.
Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts