Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got boxes of 223 bullets hip deep around me, and about 4 lbs of 4350...

Is there anything here i can pull off that someone has experienced before....

its all going thru a heavy long barrel AR...
Even if its just loaded up with core lokt 55 gr jobs for plinking

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Imafraid that powder is just too slow to really do much in the little .223 case. Even a compressed charge isn't going to generate good operating pressures and I would especially not recommend it, in an AR...doubt the action will cycle consistently.

Pick up some faster powder, like 4198 or H335...you'll get much better performance, all around.

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
Plus, with slow powder and bullets too light, you can get secondary muzzle pressure spikes which sometimes damage a barrel. For 55's, I'll second the 4198's. I also like Benchmark and Reloader 10X at that weight.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,246 Posts
I third the 4198 comments. My 223 really shoots good with either IMR-4198 or H-4198.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
I was always a fan of Varget in my AR. Loaded under a 55 grain or heavier, it gave consistant accuracy.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Varget is my powder choice for the .223 Rem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im big on benchmark in all of my 223 loads, a few with 4064, But i just had this sitting around, and thout what the heck... thanks tho, ill save it for the big dogs

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
I once ran out of Varget just before a match, and could not get any from my local haunts. Not wanting to shoot the M1A in this match, I loaded some 68 grain Hornaday Match [I honestly forget the load] using4064 and the Speer book specs, and went off to the games. While it was not like my 'pet' load of Varget, it did alright. I was not happy with the Cycling of the AR that day tho, seemed a bit off . Granted, there was no testing of this load even before a single shot was fired in the match.
I've also used Win748 in the AR. It held tight groups too, but was not as clean or consistant as Varget.

I've found that while it is fun and challenging to try different loads in a specific caliber to 'tweek' accuracy, if you find one that really works, save it for a favorite!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.