·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3304.html

hmmmm, interesting!

This is taken from the same website.

"Powder Compression Plugs
Many shooters are finding an increase in accuracy and clean burning characteristics by compressing their Black Powder Cartridge loads .200"-400". Made to screw in place of your expander plug on Lyman, RCBS, 4-D and Redding dies. These have a lock ring set up same as the custom expanders so you can remove them without losing your setting. .32 rifle, .38 rifle, .40 rifle, 43 Spanish, .44 rifle, .45 Colt, .45 rifle, .50 rifle other sizes available by special order. Please specify make of dies."

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If power comes from gr/density then 40gr/v=38gr/w compressed .305, from my current batch of powder, should be close to a factory balloon head 40gr/v=40gr/w with .200 compression?

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but what would one use a compression die like that for, in the 44/40 round? I'm using 4227 and getting around 1550fps...would this allow for better velocity, or is it meant for actual black powder loads?

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgive my ignorance, but what would one use a compression die like that for, in the 44/40 round? I'm using 4227 and getting around 1550fps...would this allow for better velocity, or is it meant for actual black powder loads?

This is taken from the same website.

"Powder Compression Plugs
Many shooters are finding an increase in accuracy and clean burning characteristics by compressing their Black Powder Cartridge loads .200"-400". Made to screw in place of your expander plug on Lyman, RCBS, 4-D and Redding dies. These have a lock ring set up same as the custom expanders so you can remove them without losing your setting. .32 rifle, .38 rifle, .40 rifle, 43 Spanish, .44 rifle, .45 Colt, .45 rifle, .50 rifle other sizes available by special order. Please specify make of dies."

·
Registered
57 Posts
You are funning us, right?

Shooters Forum > Blackpowder > Blackpowder Cartridge Shooting and Loading > 44-40 Powder Compression Die?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I really doubt that you'll see any benefit from a compression die for the 44wcf. There can be a definite benefit in BPCR competition, which you won't see the 44wcf in , and depending on whose powder and cartridge....its all about consistency. For hunting, CAS, and even 200 yd gongs it doesn't make a hill of beans difference. BPCR folks use drop tubes to settle their BP and as I mentioned may compress lightly or heavily depending on other variables. Many cowboy shooters just use a case full or near that and stick the case up to a vibrating case cleaner. Settles the powder near to what a drop tube does.

For this caliber, just seems a waste of time to me. Just my pennies worth.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
You are funning us, right?

Shooters Forum > Blackpowder > Blackpowder Cartridge Shooting and Loading > 44-40 Powder Compression Die?
Nope, I didn't know what a compression die was used for...never had cause for compressing powder in a metallic case before, although I have done so when shotshell reloading. Never needed a special die for it, though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cleaner burning is probably the biggest advantage of using good compression in a .44-40 cartridge. Magnum primers can help as well.

BTW, I reload .45 Colt, and plan to get the compression die for it. Here's why:
As is usual with black powder cartridge reloading, I use soft lead bullets. I load to get about 1/16" compression of the powder, even after using a drop tube. If I use the RCBS seating die to seat the RNFP bullet to compress the powder, the bullet nose will and does deform by quite a bit. Using a compression die beforehand will eliminate that deformity. And, FWIW, I never resize blackpowder cases, just as they didn't back then. No need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts