Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but what would one use a compression die like that for, in the 44/40 round? I'm using 4227 and getting around 1550fps...would this allow for better velocity, or is it meant for actual black powder loads?
You are funning us, right?

Shooters Forum > Blackpowder > Blackpowder Cartridge Shooting and Loading > 44-40 Powder Compression Die?

·
Banned
57 Posts
Cleaner burning is probably the biggest advantage of using good compression in a .44-40 cartridge. Magnum primers can help as well.

BTW, I reload .45 Colt, and plan to get the compression die for it. Here's why:
As is usual with black powder cartridge reloading, I use soft lead bullets. I load to get about 1/16" compression of the powder, even after using a drop tube. If I use the RCBS seating die to seat the RNFP bullet to compress the powder, the bullet nose will and does deform by quite a bit. Using a compression die beforehand will eliminate that deformity. And, FWIW, I never resize blackpowder cases, just as they didn't back then. No need.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.