Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Shooters!

I am new to all this talking by typing, but I have learned a lot from reading on here and I don't want to be one of those "troll" guys.

I have a funny question about a carbine that has been sitting around my place that I took on trade. It is a Rossi copy of the '92 in .44-40, I have learned that it is an old model without a safety, has a steel magazine follower, and a saddle ring.

I have shot some of those "Cowboy" loads and might take the plunge and get some dies- but I cannot find a niche for it. I don't do the CAS thing, I have a Winchester pre-64 .30-30 for horseback duty-won't replace with the .44-40 it can't do what that carbina trienta does! My father's Marlin .44mag resides in the safe for future use, and my Marlin 1895CB and Enfield .30-06 handles hunting here (NM Deer, Elk and Antelope).

Other than riding in the the truck I cannot find anything to do with this carbine- help me out! Around here nothing eats (horses, dogs, or kids) if it doesn't have a job. If it doesn't find a job it will be sold or traded off!

Regards,

ST

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have one i love mine just for plinkin I have to many more powerful lever guns etc to use it for coyotes or anythings else. Does yours feed properly??? Mine was a early model rossi 92 the 44-40s had some fitting problems took me awhile to get the spring pressures and loading gate right. I use .44 mag expander and seater dies for mine since mine has the same bore diameter as a 44 mag yours prob does to. If so prob just need a shell holder and 44-40 sizer die. I dont guess i have a real practical use for mine really but its just fun.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I own a Rossi "Puma" lever action too in .44-40. Bought it back in 1983 & the only thing I shot with it was a Groundhog several years ago. I reload it using IMR-4227 & 200 grain Hornady XTP bullet. Mostly it is a wall hanger though as I have other rifles I use for Deer Hunting. Neat little carbine though!!:)

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I've got a model '92 Winchester, in 44/40. The original barrel was very badly pitted inside, so it was replaced with a Green Mountain barrel. The option existed to have a 44 Rem Mag barrel put on instead, as the '92 action will handle the pressure of that cartridge well, but another 44/40 barrel was installed, for tradition, if nothing else.

The thing to realize about the 44/40 is that it is every bit as "useful" as the 30/30, out to around 125 yards, IF you load it with ammunition meant for a rifle barrel and a strong action. I handload 200gr XTP bullets for mine to around 1550fps, which results in a legitimate 100 yard deer gun that doesn't have a whole lot of recoil. In fact, my daughter has hunted with it the last three years and harvested a big Indiana doe with it, Sept. of '09.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jason.broom/KatieSDoe?authkey=Gv1sRgCLq10If96pqxqAE#5387960694444853234

I've also loaded the same bullet with a modest charge of Unique for a fun plinking round. I rather enjoy trying to make a can dance at 50 feet and there is something distinctly American about working that lever-action...even if yours was made in Italy. :) If you'd like some load recipes, send me a PM and I'll be glad to share what I have.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Great looking Winchester, Jason! :) Bet your Daughter was sure proud of her Doe!:) I once owned an old Marlin model 1894 in .25-20, which was a "take down" version. I had to replace the barrel on it but got lucky and found one at Numrich Arms for the 1894 Marlin .25-20 WCF. I sold this rifle back in the early 1970's and I can just still KICK myself for letting it go.:eek: It was a nice shooting rifle.;)

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Yeah, I guess you could say a lot of people were proud that day; my daughter for getting her first deer, myself for sitting next to her for 4 hours while she held still and quiet, my dad for getting the work done on the rifle so she could hunt with it, and even her great-grandfather, who is the actual owner of that old 44/40! (Just don't try to tell my daughter that! :D )

It was a real family affair, that hunt, and proof positive that an open-sighted, lever-action 44/40 will still get the job done, just like it did for quite a few decades in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Yeah, it's still a useful cartridge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your responses!

Sharp74- I have shot a box of 200gr and 205gr cowboy loads without any problems. This carbine has a low "N" three-digit serial number and the cowboy who traded it to me was down on his luck and I think regretted it. He said that this was one slick little carbine. The only thing I don't like are the sights, but it is drilled and tapped on the side for a peep- so that would solve alot of problems. As being a wall hanger- it could be that- when I saw it I took it for an early Winchester '92! Has a nice patina and has pretty wood- another good idea!

Broom_jm- what a great picture you must be very proud! Good idea might end up being a "hand-me-down" carbine! I have been looking at the Lyman 310 for this caliber-might come a callin' for those load recommendations, if I can find a job for it.

Thanks again! Got four responses and some honest suggestions- I appreciate them all!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Thank you for your responses! This carbine has a low "N" three-digit serial number. Thanks again! Got four responses and some honest suggestions- I appreciate them all!
My Rossi Puma also has a three-digit serial number. Infact the numbers are in sequence like "1-2-3" Your Rossi must have been made the same year as mine.;) The .44-40 WCF is quite capable to take Deer sized game just like the .30-30 or .44 Magnum. It might not be as powerful, but it is in the same league & Ball Park with reloads for rifles.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Critter Popper

Saddle Tramp, I have an old Lyman reloading manual from 1966 or so. It has load data for the .38-40 and .44-40. Both test rifles were 92 Winchesters, 20" barrel for the .38-40 & 24" in .44-40. It lists a 200 gr jacketed and 205 gr cast bullet load (#42798) for the .44-40. It lists Jacketed bullet loads W/Unique, 2400, and IMR 4227. Starting loads W/2400 & IMR 4227 were over 1,700 fps., W/max loads listing velocities over 2,000 fps. The same W/the cast bullets!?!? Lyman listed bullet diameters used from .425" to .429" and suggests you "slug" your barrel. Don't know if you would want to use loads this heavy in the Rossi, but in the M-92 the .44-40 is capable of considerable performance if 'pushed'. The .38-40 data was equally impressive W/180 gr jacketed and 172 gr cast bullet (#40143). Max loads over 1,900 fps.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Back when I was a young man my Mother had but one gun ... A Win 92 in .44-40. I inherited it. But back then we carried a rifle around a lot, everyday, everywhere. The only restaraunt in town had a rule though ... check your guns at the counter. Not many handguns in Northern Michigan then so the rifle accompanied most folks everywhere. Where we lived was a bit remote and a very small town. It was kind of a "do-all" rifle. It would take several deer in the Fall, and vermin the rest of the year. It was "handy".

·
Registered
707 Posts
Thank you for your responses!

Sharp74- I have shot a box of 200gr and 205gr cowboy loads without any problems. This carbine has a low "N" three-digit serial number and the cowboy who traded it to me was down on his luck and I think regretted it. He said that this was one slick little carbine. The only thing I don't like are the sights, but it is drilled and tapped on the side for a peep- so that would solve alot of problems. As being a wall hanger- it could be that- when I saw it I took it for an early Winchester '92! Has a nice patina and has pretty wood- another good idea!

Broom_jm- what a great picture you must be very proud! Good idea might end up being a "hand-me-down" carbine! I have been looking at the Lyman 310 for this caliber-might come a callin' for those load recommendations, if I can find a job for it.

Thanks again! Got four responses and some honest suggestions- I appreciate them all!
I have used a Lyman 310 " Nutcracker " , when I was a teenager .

Get the Lee hand press instead ! Greater leverage and it used " standard " dies .

My Rossies are .357 Mag and .45 LC . Really like both of them .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hello Shooters!

I am new to all this talking by typing, but I have learned a lot from reading on here and I don't want to be one of those "troll" guys.

I have a funny question about a carbine that has been sitting around my place that I took on trade. It is a Rossi copy of the '92 in .44-40, I have learned that it is an old model without a safety, has a steel magazine follower, and a saddle ring.

I have shot some of those "Cowboy" loads and might take the plunge and get some dies- but I cannot find a niche for it. I don't do the CAS thing, I have a Winchester pre-64 .30-30 for horseback duty-won't replace with the .44-40 it can't do what that carbina trienta does! My father's Marlin .44mag resides in the safe for future use, and my Marlin 1895CB and Enfield .30-06 handles hunting here (NM Deer, Elk and Antelope).

Other than riding in the the truck I cannot find anything to do with this carbine- help me out! Around here nothing eats (horses, dogs, or kids) if it doesn't have a job. If it doesn't find a job it will be sold or traded off!

Regards,

ST
:D Why do you "need" a reason to have any gun ? :cool: If you want a reason, here's one: That gun and caliber were probably more responsible for taming New Mexico than any other weapon.;) Keep it, shoot it whenever you want, at whatever you want and enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
:D Why do you "need" a reason to have any gun ? :cool: If you want a reason, here's one: That gun and caliber were probably more responsible for taming New Mexico than any other weapon.;) Keep it, shoot it whenever you want, at whatever you want and enjoy it.
According to Cartridges Of The World "The .44-40 has Killed More People Good & Bad & More Game Large & Small than any other cartridge"

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
COSteve,

Those are the mild 44/40 loads that are safe in any firearm, like the old Model '73 and revolvers. For an interesting read on the 44/40, including some loads that are only safe in the much stronger Model '92 action (and knock-offs), check out this website:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_11_49/ai_109351856/

On the fourth page of that article, there is a list of rifle loads that are quite a bit more potent. The one I use is as follows:

Hornady 200-gr. XTP -- 24.5-gr. H4227 1,585fps (I started at 21gr and stopped at 24, as the accuracy was excellent.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for even more responses! Got me to thinking and might give the .30-30 a rest all Summer and just use this little carbine and the 200 factory rounds I have. This was my first post and what a bunch of really nice responses and real information. If I have some successes with predator control or other things to report I will post them here!

Regards,
ST

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Thanks for even more responses! Got me to thinking and might give the .30-30 a rest all Summer and just use this little carbine and the 200 factory rounds I have. This was my first post and what a bunch of really nice responses and real information. If I have some successes with predator control or other things to report I will post them here!

Regards,
ST
Buy yourself a good set of reloading dies and work up some good loads. Factory .44-40 ammo is made for pistols & is EXPENSIVE!!

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
If you decide not to reload, send me a PM and I'll buy the empties from ya. :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
COSteve,

Those are the mild 44/40 loads that are safe in any firearm, like the old Model '73 and revolvers. For an interesting read on the 44/40, including some loads that are only safe in the much stronger Model '92 action (and knock-offs), check out this website:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_11_49/ai_109351856/

On the fourth page of that article, there is a list of rifle loads that are quite a bit more potent. The one I use is as follows:

Hornady 200-gr. XTP -- 24.5-gr. H4227 1,585fps (I started at 21gr and stopped at 24, as the accuracy was excellent.)
Thanks for the link. I checked out you article and you've run the 44-40 up to pretty respectable levels in the '92 versions.

A question for you. Have you ever tried to fire form 44-40 cases from 44 mag cases? If so, how'd they work out?

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Thanks for the link. I checked out you article and you've run the 44-40 up to pretty respectable levels in the '92 versions.

A question for you. Have you ever tried to fire form 44-40 cases from 44 mag cases? If so, how'd they work out?
I have not tried to use 44RM cases to make 44-40 cases. I'm not sure if such is possible, but I CAN say that 44RM brass is substantially thicker. I'm willing to go the extra mile in finding and paying for virgin 44/40 because I'm not positive how I would need to adjust load recipes, if the parent brass was the much thicker 44RM. That's a road I'd rather not go down, especially with a 50 year-old firearm. :)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

If not mistaken, you'd use 45 Long colt to do this, not 44 mag. A quick look at the cartridge drawings in a load manual will confirm this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts