Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the confines of the loading room, tucked away in the basement , next to the furnace, many things can happen, when after a few hours of loading, mistakes can occur.........such is the case of the "New wildcat pistol cartridge .44/500CSW. " The other night after surfing the chat rooms and reading about the new 500 S&W offering, I went down to load a few 500 Linebaugh cases in my quest for a shootable hunting load. I sat down at the bench and proceeded to resize a few cases. The first one thru the press and the case stuck in the die at about 1/3 of the downstroke completed. I then upon checking discovered that I had actually put in the 480 ruger dies instead of the 500 Linebaugh dies. the result . a necked down 500 Linebaugh case......Well after a 454 Casull die and a 44 Rem Magnum die, the 44/500 case was formed. The only suitable bullet I had on hand was a 300 g XTP Powder charges of 40 to 45g of 296 will fit into the case, with Mag primers I am guessing the velocity to be in the ......Well you can guess at about what speed we are takling about, RIGHT UP There with sabot rounds .... And of course what do I think of first, CS Ward"s quest for the perfect High velocity/no recoi l long range target machine. Hi ya Chuck, jdt634 here, what I'm thinking is a slight rechamber on your RugerSRH 454 and a new barrel liner, maybe a 4 shot cylinder and we've got the perfect gun!!! So I've named the new creation the 44/500CSW. see the attached photos with the new cartridge alongside a 44 mag 270 g for comparision. What do you think Chuck? Thanks for letting me poke a little fun......l

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
jdt634
So are you going to have a Encore Barrel made for that?
Shoot make that into a 45 Cal and you'd be in there!!:D
I want a Lever gun for that!! Rossi are up to it? Marlin get off the stick-Winchester want to coner some market share?:cool:

·
Banned
57 Posts
big time headaches

how many bottleneck rounds do you guys know of that are used consistantly.
357,357 sig,and 400and 440 corbon.
any others?
bottleneck cartridges are a pain to handload especially with large powder charges which stretch the cases,too much forming,trimming then the cases stretch and you lose the correct neck sizing.
no more bottlenecks for me,too many headaches.
good luck you'll need it.:cool:

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
In a lever action rifle, or better yet a Encore or Encore Carbine, this would probably be a good round. I wouldn't put it in a revolver though. High intensity bottle neck cartridges are an engineering task yet to be mastered in revolvers. I know what makes them not work, but it is not yet know what will MAKE them work. The level of power associated with cartridges of this powder volume are already beyond the tolerance and need of MOST shooters, so the additional (unusable in a revolver) trajectory benefit would seem a moot point. It is fun to play though!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
I prefer the 20mm cannon with solid-steel hollowpoint..... wonder how long it will be before someone comes out with this in a handgun?

·
Banned
548 Posts
kci -

Very cool looking ctg. Power will be .429 /.500 to the 1.2 power times 2300 FPE, max for the 500 Linbaugh. This comes to 1914 FPE, so a 240 gr .429 will do about 1894 FPS from an 8 inch bbl.

The same math for a 240 gr.452 bullet will give you 2037 fPE and 1955 fps - a step past the 454 Casull, without exceeding the 480 Ruger pressures.This is a nice little niche for those wanting to top the 454 but at lower pressures. Headspace it on the shoulder and it won't stretch so much. Off the shelf Freedom Arms 452 bullets will stand up to the velocity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts