Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a 94 AE trapper chambered in 45 colt that I load to 44 mag pressures. I've never shot it for groups but it has the accuracy to ring 5" gongs every time at 200yds. Here are my observations on the trappers. They seem to give good hunting accuracy but in order to get the best out of it your gonna have to either scope it or put a quality peep-sight on it. With factory iron-sights I didn't do much better than paper plate size at 100yds. Now I have a small shotgun scope on it and I shoot better groups at 200yds than I did at 100yds with factory irons. I imagine most trappers are capable of 2-3 inch groups at 100yds but it will be hard to do with factory sights, get you a good peep or perhaps a small scope and you'll have a great 150yd deer rifle. Your sights will determine how accurate your trapper is. Dave

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Welcome to ShootersForum, NorthCountyTech!

As a wise man often said, "Rules are simple, be nice and join in."

What Dave said...the biggest limitation is going to be how precise your aiming point is, with factory sights. I have a 44M carbine with a 4x scope on it and it will shoot coffee cup-sized groups at 100 yards. If your end goal is to harvest small to medium game with it at 100 yards or less, you can probably do that with the factory iron sights, but a good peep or scope will make it quite a bit easier.

Maybe take it out and put a few dozens rounds through it with the original sights and then decide? Most guns shoot as well as the person squeezing the trigger.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

I have or have had several 44 trappers and as stated above, expect 2 to 3 inch groups. Some do better and some not so good. The Trappers make great hunting rifles, light and quick, ideal for thick cover.

·
Registered
445 Posts
From a good solid rest mine will do closer to 2 inches with the factory iron sights and the right load. Last time I was at the range I was packing up to leave but decided to see what it could do at 150 yards. I only fired a single 3 shot group which isn't much to judge by, but I was shocked to see they went into a group just over 3 inches. I don't remember off-hand what the drop was - maybe 6 inches - but it was definately enough that you'd need to hold high on a deer.

It's also worth mentioning, some of these guns won't shoot 300 grain bullets well, but mine does very well with 300 gr Hornady XTPs with full power loads.

·
Banned
326 Posts
I shoot 20.5 gr H110 and a 300 gr XTP in my 44 mag. Groups about like a baseball. I mounted the XS ghost ring sight on mine and love it. Very fast on target, and carrys the way a lever should. Its one of my go to guns, and has put several hogs on the table.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey guys - thanks for the info.

Yes - I am looking to use it for deer but I also want to know exactly what type of groups I can expect. After all a guy could burn through a couple hunded dollors worth of ammo trying to get to 2" groups when the gun just won't do it.

I recently put a scope on it as I am getting older...anyway...in the past I could easily hit a 6" spinner @ 100 yrds but now with the scope I am more motivated to get the groups tighter.
From a simi-fix mount I was getting 6" groups @ 75 yrds using 240 grn JHP from Blazer - the loads seemed a little light on powder but consistent.

I am not a newbie at this but I will admit that its been awhile since I spent some time with my .44

I am going to mount it on my Lead Slead with some good ammo and give it another try.
I'll let ya know how it turns out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts