Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I wonder if it would be possible to design a 44 cal bullet for use in the 44 mag and 444 Marlin that has a better ballistic coefficient ? Although I think that for dangerous game and the distances that they should be shot at that a HEAVY bullet with wide meplat at 1800 to 2200 or so would be best I think that for deer a lead bullet with a smaller meplat and higher bc would be better. Let me explain my thinkin, For the best trajectory ,a bullet such as this with a small meplat which should theoretically equate to better bc and streamlined bullet would be great for deer . Now I know what is available is already good but what if we could flatten the trajectory to allow for less error in range estimation ? after all at the velocities the bullet would be fired out of at least the 444, we could, as I have read here expect expansion . Deer arent so heavily constructed that a 220-250 grain bullet would not give optimal performance. also if wanted the noses could be detempered to allow even better expansion characteristics.
   Just a meplat that is large enough to prevent primer detonation of the catridge in front of it would do .
  Is it possible to design such a bullt with a bc of say 220 gr with a .220 bc ? or a 250 with a bc of .250 or somewhere therabouts ?
      if such a bullet could be designed it would allow an extra 35 to 50 yards or so of point blank range! would help tremendously on range estimation error.I think that the 220gr could be driven at 2700 or better easily and the 250 gr at 2600 or better!Now as to recoil the gun would shurley kick BUT WE ARENT TALKING ABOUT THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS GUYS ! i MEAN AFTER ALL given equal gun weights the 338 mag with 250 grainer and the 10 guage mag with a 750 gr both kick as much or more than even the 280 wfn at 2550! Definetly more than your average popgun BUT not unbearable for sighting in and then shooting deer!
            Just a thought !  a 43 year old gunnut of over 30years thoughts ! Man I am getting old MUCH sooner than I had hoped for !
      Thanks for your time , sincerely -CRAIG

·
Registered
254 Posts
The figures you are presenting or desiring fit the 35Whelen. A 200gr .358 round nose has a BC of .190. It may be possible to use the Barnes X Bullets to get some fantastic performance, but the 444 isn't the cartridge. More often then not the paper ballistics don't match the real world performance. Nothing does more for bullet performance then practice by the user/shooter at the ranges for intended use.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts