Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old 44 cal Kentucky rifle that I use for deer hunting in Pa.  They  have just allowed the use of sabbots in Pa.  Does anyone know of a source for sabbots for this Caliber?  
Thanks,
RG

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't know where you can get sabots, but I question you why would you want to? I have tried sabots in a .50 cal Lyman Deerstalker and found little advantage over pure lead bullets. If you don't have a twist rate of 1 in 32" or 1 in 28", the sabots are not that great. They will work in some slower twist barrels, but are not intended to. I found the plastic fouling a real b--ch to get out, and it destroyed accuracy with all projectiles. I have finally got it clean and now only use patch and ball. I filled my tag the other day with a dry doe, shot in the back of the neck at 110 yards. I was using a .495 RB , .018 th patch and 70 grains of Pyrodex.  The ball works just fine. Good luck

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
44 Cal is a tough one with regard to a sabot. You'll end up with a 357 cal bullet which isn't the greatest being that you are starting out with a much larger bore to use. The only sabots I have seen are for the 45's, 50's and 54's. As was stated above, the twist rate will have to be considered also. Too slow and it can be useless with a conical type projectile as it won't stabilize properly.

I'd take Hawk's advice and go with a round ball of proper size for this season as time is probably short. Then you could consider possibly getting a mold for pouring your own slugs to match your bore diameter and then have time to develop loads that are suitable if your twist rate is too.

What is the true groove/bore diameter of that rifle?

Regards, Ray

(Edited by Contender at 11:43 am on Nov. 11, 2001)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts