Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for recomendations for 44 call cast bullets that i can buy. I dint have time to cast my own, just would like to buy some bullets. just tell me your experiences with diffrent brands and weights.just as long as its CAST

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Depends what you want them for. I personally, for hunting like a minimum of a 250gr. My personal favorite is a 280gr I cast myself & drive at about 1100 fps from my Ruger 7 1/2" bbl. Has good power & penetration for hunting without the wrist twisting & finger banging of faster loads. The heavy weight makes for a great all around performer. For sure dependable.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
A lot of big casting outfits are swamped but you can check Montana bullet works, Missouri bullets, Rimrock and several others. I've had great luck with Montana , Rimrock and Lazercast. Google will show you plenty of choices.

·
Registered
728 Posts
If you don't have time to cast up a batch of .44s you don't have time to find them in a store. Casting will take a couple of hours. Ordering them online will take maybe a few weeks to months, and finding them in a store may take the remainder of your life. To be able to cast your own bullets is freedom. Take advantage of it.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
You didn't specify for Rifle or Handgun...and I have no experience in rifle...but I can share my experience with Ruger and S&W handguns with cast.

Over the years, I owned close to a dozen 44. Mag handguns (Ruger SBH, Redhawk, and S&W 29).

I never (not once), found a .430 or .431 cast bullet in the 240-260 gr. range that did not shoot well in the 1000-1200 fps. range. Soft, Hard, Medium, Bulk, specialty, my own cast...it did not seem to matter. They all shot well. The hard cast liked a little more velocity even to 1300+, but they all shot well.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I would suggest Magnus lead bullets. I used their 240 gr SWC for .44 SPLs (3" Bulldog and Taurus 431). Used a home cast Lee 240gr SWC in .44 Mag cases for my one pig hunt out of a 6.5" Smith 29-2.

CD

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you don't have time to cast up a batch of .44s you don't have time to find them in a store. Casting will take a couple of hours. Ordering them online will take maybe a few weeks to months, and finding them in a store may take the remainder of your life. To be able to cast your own bullets is freedom. Take advantage of it.
I have been waiting a month now for mine..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've recently bought .44 hard cast/coated from Missouri Bullets, 250gr Keith style, and 240gr TCFP (a flat point round nose), similar to to cowboy loads many makers have. Both orders came in in less than 10 days. High quality.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I've been buying Missouri Bullets for the last couple years. They were slow for a while, but my last order landed in less than 2 weeks. Never saw a 250gr Keith style bullet, but the selection of .430 bullets is extensive from 174gr to 300gr. They are available in plated and un-plated versions, and Brinell 12 and 18. The plated 12's hold up nearly as well as the unplated 18's. I only buy the polymer coated bullets at this point. My 380's, 9mm's, .38/357's and .44's all love 'em. The TCFP's, (Truncated Cone Flat Points), all feed very slick through my 77/357 and 77/44. I use the plated .309's in my .300Ham'r and .30-30's to fireform brass and bust clays sitting on the berm.

MBC Prices are very fair.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I don't have a favorite bullet caster as I cast most of my own. But when I don't feel like casting/PCing I normally go with ACME. I request .432" bullets and the "Old School" 240 gr. to 250 gr. SWC will do every thing you need. But in my 44 levergun I use 240 and 265 gr LRNFP (Ranch Dog design) as it feeds 100% without "special" seating...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts