Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting back into reloading and am looking for some sage advice.

What do you think of the 300 gr WFNGC bullet (.432 diameter) ahead of 22 grains of W296 or H110 with a CCI 350 primer and Federal brass as a heavy hunting load.

The rifle is a Marlin 1894 with a 16"  microgroove barrel (non-ported).

Also, any thoughts about W296 vs. H110 in this application.

Jack

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,228 Posts
Sounds potent to me.  I haven't loaded any 300 grain bullets in the .44mag so can't comment on the particular charge weights.

Not every gun will feed the longer bullets without modification.  You might see if you can get Marshall to send you one or two for dummy rounds to check this.

If they don't feed smoothly try the 280 gr. WFNGC, as it loads to a standard OAL of 1.610" and should feed great.  The difference in performance on game should not be much.

Oh by the way WW296 and H110 are the same.  Same manufacturer, different labels.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike.

Somebody else too suggested that I back down a little to 20.5 - 21 grs of H110. They agreed that 22 grs was little hot.

That bullet profile should be OK without having to modify my rifle's cartrideg carrier. From what I understand the .44 mag 300 gr. WFNGC has a similar profile to the bullet used in Federal's 300 gr CastCore hunting load. That load runs through my 1894's action without a hitch.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
I too think for starters to back down to 21.0-21.5 grains of H110/W296 in your Marlin .44 Levergun and the 300g WFNGC bullet.   Too, in that Marlin, you'll find accuracy greatly enhanced by shooting a .432" diameter bullet as opposed to the traditional .429"-.430" pills.

If using the LMNGC profile in 300 grain weight, you'll need to make the cartridge carrier modification that is detailed in our tips and comments pages, otherwise, the WFNGC profile should feed great without modification.

Overall, you would have to look a long time to find a more useful hunting load in your Marlin .44 Mag.

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 4 of 4 Posts