Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a NOS Browning 1892 in 44 mag with tang sight recently, and I'm going to hunt deer with it this year. I'm also going on a moose hunt next week with my BIL and nephew, who got the permit. I can't shoot, but I think my nephew may use it. I like the 240 grain loads for the .357, and I want to use a Buffalo Bore load for the .44 as well. Trouble is, they have 3 sizes, 300, 305, and 340 grain. I don't know what to use! With the numbers they put out I'm sure they would all be an improvement over the standard handgun loads.
Does anyone here have experience with any of them? I'm thinking barrel twist may not be the best for the heaviest one, but I'm not sure. I don't reload, but I think BB has what I need anyway if I can just narrow it down. What would you use for moose, and which one for deer and why?
I'm not worried about long shots as my longest possible in the Maine woods won't be over 100 yards. I do want something that can be dead on out to 100 or so, and will be the right load to knock the crap out of them.
Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
That 305gr LBT-style 44Mag load will be excellent for the moose hunt, if you nephew uses your '92. However, it's really a lot more than you'd need for deer unless you want to do part of the processing during the shot. :)

I don't see any "240 grain loads for the .357" on the BB website. That seems like an awfully high bullet weight for a case of that capacity, with the largest bullet listed at 180gr.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
An LBT style bullet's not going to do any more meat damage than any other flat nose bullet will. A hollowpoint? now that will. An LBT style will simply punch a hole right though. I load 290 and 350 grain lead flat nose bullets (Lyman 429640 and 429649) in R-P 44 special cases using 19 grains of 296. Muzzle velocity is around 1550 fps from my Browning 92. They'll puch a nice neat 1" hole though any animal you shoot.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,668 Posts
A 300 grain .44 bullet should go through anything that walks on this continent. The flat nose hard cast bullets are great for hunting. Good luck.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll try the 300 and see how it does.
Jim, you're right, there is no 240 grain load, for .357 anyways. I got cornfused there somehow. My bad! I use the Buffalo Bore 180 in my 1894 Marlin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts