Shooters Forum banner

44 mag Handgun velocity

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  GeronPG 
#1 ·
I did some testing over the last few days using a Ruger Redhawk 44 with 7.5" Bbl. The bullet used is a Keith style 280gr SWC PB. MV was right at 1100fps, cast from my scrap WW, BHN 10.5 . So how much velocity do you need out of a 44 handgun with a heavy bullet? Deer elk or what ever. I set up 5, 1 gal water jugs. The first 2 were Almond milk jugs ( heavy thick plastic ) , the last 3 were the thinner milk jugs. Range was 70 yds. I was wanting to catch the bullet , but it passed completely thru all 5 jugs & ripped them apart. Water does not compress. so that means it has to be displaced ( moved out of the way ) . Remembering this bullet started at 1100 fps , what would it be at 70yds? It obliviously had considerable momentum, which translated into penetration.
I then went to a heavy solid 10" dia piece of Spruce log that weighted about 8 to 10 lbs set at 50 yds. It was resting on an old rotted tree stump. When the bullet struck, it literately turned a backward somersault & landed about 2' behind the stump it had been sitting on. So, again how much velocity does a heavy bullet from a 44 handgun need. For me & my skill level I see 50 yds , maybe 60 as a max range I could hit game in the field. From my Win 94 Legacy with it's 2.5X scope 100 yds , no problem. Your thoughts.

#4 ·
So how much velocity do you need out of a 44 handgun with a heavy bullet?
Don't know where my chrono records ever got to, but I was getting somewhere around 1,200 FPS out of a 270 grain Keith style gas checked bullet during my silhouette days. Don't remember ever "ringing" a Ram at 200 Meters. Those would blast the chickens at 50 meters at least 5 feet off their stands. Carried that SBH 10 1/2" heavy barrel many times whitetail hunting. Never saw a deer while carrying it though.

#6 ·
The opinions and experience rendered here, mirror mine. That load is likely good for anything in the lower 48.

Reactions: Blackhawk355
#9 ·
Checking on my little ballistics program : at 50 yards the bullet is at 1027 fps (668 fpe). At 75 yards, it is at 996 fps (627fpe). Figures are, of course, approximate for your gun.

#12 ·
The heaviest bullets I load in the .44 mag top out at 265 grains. My standard swc cast WW bullets, gc and pb, go more around 250grns to 260 grns. I've killed several deer with both 240 grn JHP and 200 grn JHP and prefer the 200 grain for whitetail.

An excellent load in my M29-2 is the Hornady 265 grain JSP at 1360 fps. Very accurate and very powerful. I don't use it in the bush because I have yet to find a need for it. The 200 grn JHP at 1509 fps and the 240 grn JHP at just under 1400 fps are devastating on deer. 2400 is the usual fuel for the cast slugs with H110/296 for jacketed. The 240 JHP load is especially great in the Marlin 94 at around 1750 fps; and that load/rifle does a number on deer. I've never been a fan of "heavy-for-the-caliber" bullets. Super penetration simply isn't needed for deer or even black bear.

An interesting, possibly puzzling, phenomenon has over the years convinced me of the superior effectiveness of the .44 mag for deer and b. bear. Every deer I've shot with JHP bullets in the .44 have dropped in place (DRT), and to a slightly lesser extent this also applies to the .41. Rifle calibers from .22 Hornet to the 45/70 - and a dozen calibers in between - have never done this! Depending on the the rifle & caliber the DRT max has been no more than 30%. Even the .357 gives exceptionally quick kills with most running though seldom more than a few yards.

#13 ·
I have to agree with Hanshi. The .44 performs on game much better than its velocity or energy numbers would indicate. I shot 2 medium bucks this past week with my 50 cal muzzleloader, loaded with Hornady 240 gr XTP (sabot) pushed by 70 gr. of Pyrodex - essentially a slightly hot .44 mag. load. Both through-and-through; they ran a little and flopped. I'm a huge fan of larger-diameter bullets at moderate velocity, at least when you're hunting in the woods and shots aren't past 75 yds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.