Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm still I'm still working up reloads for the 'ol .44 mag.

Started with 6.8gr. of HP38, 240 gr. lead bullet. Nice light loads trying not to lead the barrel too much. Also, just a practice round as the lead bullets are cheap(ish).

Today I worked on a 23.5gr. of H110, 240 jacketed. Any thoughts about this? I'm working on a load that will be a good general all purpose load.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That's a pretty common load combination at the upper end of the charge range. You'll know when it goes off, no problem, but be sure to clean the lead out first. Blowing lead out of a pistol barrel with a jacketed round is a bad idea. Blowing the lead out with a hot load is a worse idea.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Download? Like under load the case? What happens then?
H110/W296 (same thing) needs a compressed charge, or nearly so, to generate the pressure required to sustain the burning process. A charge below the listed minimum is likely to result in a squib load (at best) and can actually result in a seriously over-pressure load, in a phenomenon that I don't fully understand. I think what happens is the powder starts to burn, pushing the bullet into the bore, then has some kind of secondary pressure wave that can blow up your gun because the bore is now obstructed by the bullet. Don't quote me on that! :)

Long story, short...stick with book loads on H110/W296 and don't go under them.

·
Inactive account
4,165 Posts
And by book loads we mean powder charge for a specific bullet. I have had little success with H110, mainly because I am a moderate load guy and I have found adequate loads with other powders. If I was starting to develop loads for the 44 mag again I would stick with 2400 and Unique and never look back. The old pros got it right, of that I am sure. I do have one load with Accurate #5 that was given to me by a trusted friend. It is a big secret.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
And by book loads we mean powder charge for a specific bullet. I have had little success with H110, mainly because I am a moderate load guy and I have found adequate loads with other powders. If I was starting to develop loads for the 44 mag again I would stick with 2400 and Unique and never look back. The old pros got it right, of that I am sure. I do have one load with Accurate #5 that was given to me by a trusted friend. It is a big secret.
It's true that you can't really make moderate loads for a 44RM with H110, but I've never had any problems with their consistency or performance. Magnum primers and near-max charges have always led to accurate and powerful loads, but I've only used them for two different guns, so that might be why.

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
If I was starting to develop loads for the 44 mag again I would stick with 2400 and Unique and never look back.
Herco is another one if youn see some on sale sometime. For moderate jacketed loads, moderate is not plinking, Blue Dot is also good, and uses less powder than 2400. W296/H110, moderate loads not! Worse for some reason in a .357, especially with heavier bullets. Do not know why.

Even with the heaviest bullets, 100% charges of 296/110 have never been a problem, and I take a lot of pains to get there. Less than 100% I have learned to avoid, and 101% sounds even better.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I use a lot of H110 with my .44 mag, and sometimes in my .357, but mostly go with Blue Dot there. I will try some in my .454 when I run out of Lil'Gun...

·
Banned
763 Posts
I used a similar jacketed load to yours for years.

With the high cost of jacketed bullets now a days, I use two cast bullet loads for .44 Mag.

10.0gr of Unique with the Lee 200 grain RNFP mold.
22.0gr of H110 with the Ranch Dog 265gr mold with a gas check.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Magnum Primers a must have? Have any of you found regular large pistol primers to be adequate or underpowered?
With large doses of H110, I would absolutely say magnum primers are a must have. I use WLP or CCI 350s.

·
Banned
15 Posts
I use H110 and blue dot for my 44. 23.7 of H110 and 16 of blue dot. both with 240 xtp's. I have loaded the H110 hotter but the chrono doesn't show a signifacant differance and i get better groups with the 23.7 load. As far as the primer i started with the cci 300 because it was all i could find at the time...switched to wlp's when i found them and can honestly say i don't see a differance..on paper or with the chrono.

·
Banned
5 Posts
I've been loading H110 and 296 for my .44 mag lever action carbine. Stick to max / near max loads, and magnum primers. Going to the range later this morning to test some Sierra 240 gr JHP with 24 grains of 296, and some 300 gr XTP's with 21.5 grains of H110 for deer season.

·
Banned
763 Posts
I've been loading H110 and 296 for my .44 mag lever action carbine. Stick to max / near max loads, and magnum primers. Going to the range later this morning to test some Sierra 240 gr JHP with 24 grains of 296, and some 300 gr XTP's with 21.5 grains of H110 for deer season.
That 300 XTP is a really nice bullet. Caught some in wet phone books (use a lot of them) a few years back and this is what came out. Picture perfect:

Expanded bullet weighs 299.9 grains. :D

·
Banned
5 Posts
That 300 XTP is a really nice bullet. Caught some in wet phone books (use a lot of them) a few years back and this is what came out. Picture perfect:

Expanded bullet weighs 299.9 grains. :D
These shot really well today. Got consistent 1.5" groups. Ready for the deer season opener in 2 weeks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.