Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got in on the deal they've got going over at sixgunner forum for a Ruger Bisley Vaquaro customized by Dave Clements. I'm going with a 5.5" .44mag for hunting and CAS. Would like to work up a load adequatly powerfull for deer hunting thats still legal for CAS which means it's got to be under 1000fps and able to function through my Marlin 1894 Cowboy. I'm thinking maybe the 265 or 280 grain WFN offerings from Marshall would likely fill the bill. Has anyone here got any suggestions?
Thanks.
Manny

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Yep, sounds like you're dead-on in load choice. A .431" sized WFN, no gas check needed, at 1000 fps should be fine for whitetails up close. But does that mean 1000 from the Ruger, the Marlin, or both? If from the carbine, that will have to be pretty tame in the sixgun. You'll probably need to load to 900 fps or less in the Vaquero.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
You're right on the mark!  A .431"-432"-280g WFNPB bullet will do very nicely at 1000 fps.  Use AA #5, Universal Clays, IMR 800X or Unique to attain your velocity, and you'll also have a very pleasant gun to shoot!  That bullet at 1000 fps will do whitetails under quite nicely!

Sounds Like a nice gun!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Marshall could you give me an idea of which powder you'd recomend most out of those you listed and what charge would put me near but not over the 1000 fps out of the 5.5" Bisley with your 280gr bullet? This will be my first excursion into handloading, I've got a few hundred winchester cases saved up to get started. Also could you recommend a primer for this load.
Thanks & God Bless,
Manny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts