Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone recommend a load for my smith and wesson 629-1 that won't loosen the gun with lots of shooting? i have heard that heavy bullets are hard on this gun so i would probably want to stay with 240 grainers but that 280gr. gc looks pretty interesting.
i don't need to load this gun real hot (have a ruger super redhawk in 454 casull for that) and i was thinking about a 240 gr. bullet at about 1250fps or the equivalent 280gr. load (maybe 1150fps)
                                                thanks
                                                     dave

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dave,

I'm in search of the same type of load you are. The 280 WFN GC is my bullet of choice. My reasoning is that this bullet at moderate velocities will take care of anything I ask it to. 1100 fps or less is likely what I'll end up with. No grizzlies in my backyard (wink).  I've just started loading for the 44 so I can't offer a lot of first hand advice, but I've been busy brain picking.

You mention lots of shooting. Are you looking for strictly a practice load? I'd opt for a 240 grain bullet at 1100 fps or the 280 at 900 fps or so in that case. These would be much kinder to both the gun and you. These loads will also work as game getters so load as you do your part. Unique or Marshall's pick Universal Clays will fit the bill for those loads. Unique is the choice of the "old timers" but ,as I know now, is a bit on the dirty side. Universal Clays was Marshall's suggestion as a cleaner burning alternative. As soon as the Unique's gone I'll be using that. 10 grains of Unique with Federal standard primers was quite accurate with the 280.

Right now I'm trying loads with IMR 4227. Its very clean and , as I found last night, flows great through my Redding powder measure. My intial load was 21 grains of IMR 4227, Winchester primer, and the Hornady 240 XTP was pleasant to shoot and squeaky clean. The inside of the case was even clean.Sounds strange but it smells good after firing too.

Hope you enjoy your experimentation with the 44, I sure am

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
In adding to MT's comments, do consider the 44-280's either in GC or PB guise.  Either will do nicely with the 1100-1200 fps levels that will allow your Smith a good, long life.  Try these:

BTB .430-280gWFNC/10g Universal Clays/WLPP/Any Brass/1060 fps

BTB .430-280gWFNGC/11.8g AA #5/WLPP/Any Brass/1200 fps

Either of these loads will give the velocity levels you are looking for, yet at the same time be very gentle on the Smith 29-1.

Enjoy!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd like to use Blue Dot to duplicate the 18.5 or 19.0 of Alliant 2400 load recipe that was mentioned here previously; for use with a 245 grain LSWC in the .44 Magnum. I have lots of Blue Dot on hand and wondered if anyone could suggest a place to start for an "M29 friendly" load using this bullet?

Thanks for any help you can offer. Jeff1911.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Jeff,

Try using 15.2g-15.8g of Blue Dot in your .44 Mag with the 245g SWC's.   This loading range will net you between 1100-1175 fps depending upon barrel length, brass and primer, but will be well within the pressure envelope that is Smith friendly!   Also should contribute good accuracy with just a minimum of load tuning.

Have fun burning up that Blue Dot!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
3 Posts
Marshall,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I'll try this range and let you know how I do. I look forward to trying some of those 280 grain WFN bullets I've heard so much about. Once my stock of 245 grain SWC's gets low I'll be ordering some up.

Cheers, Jeff1911.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Marshall,

Are there any other propellants that you would consider to optimize velocity from a four inch barrel with the aforementioned 245 grain cast SWC's? I thought Blue Dot to be pretty close to ideal in this application.

I also have some Unique, W296, as well as some faster burning propellants like W231 and Titegroup.

Jeff1911.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
You mention titegroup, which is a good consistent burning powder, but a bit fast for your application to get velocity and keep pressures down.

I listed earlier some loads and one was using AA #5, and it gets my endorsement as about optimum for your purposes... you'll find it burns cleanly, and is exceptionally uniform in it's ballistics.

Again, as usual, only my ver biased opinion!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 8 of 8 Posts