Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marshall,
I apologize, but in getting ready for the move from Chicago suburbs to Northern Idaho, I can't find the .44 mag load you recommended the other day for overly amorous moose, elk, and bear.  My new 5 1/2" SB arrives on Tuesday and the Bisley frame from Brownells on Wednesday.  This will primarily be a backup round when not using the .280 AI or the 375 H&H.  I'll be sure an stop by once I get settled.  Thanks to everyone who can provide some input.

Kind regards,

Mark Roe

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Mark,

Two loads we talked about for the .44 Mag:

Every day carry load when out in the pucker brush:

.432"-280g WFNGC/22.0g H110/Rem or Starline Brass/WLPP

When you know that you'll be dealing specifically bigger than the everyday fare, and you want about all you can get out of that Ruger, try this one:

.432"-325g WLNGC/21.0g H110/Rem or Starline Brass/WLPP

The load listed first is my every day brush busting and woods bumming load up here.  It has never failed to give complete penetration on anything I've used it on, and it's very pleasant to shoot.

Too, about your Blackhawk to Bisley conversion:  You mentioned getting the grip from Brownell's, did you also get the trigger and hammer as well?  If not, you'll want to do so!

Do keep in touch, and thanks for the input here.  By the way, welcome to the forum!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, ordered the kit with the frame, hammer, and trigger.  Also ordered a spring kit for it as well - before I read Marshalls tip on Trigger Pull reduction tip.  Can't wait to get some loads done up for it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks Jack - I zipped right by it earlier (I wonder how many deer I've walked right past during hunting season??).

Based on the pic below, we need to inform Marshall that a 280 gr. WFNGC behind the pectoral fin is a bit of an over-kill on crappie.....that's more of large mouth or channel cat load  :biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts