Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone out there enlighten me as to the advantages of the different rates of twists in .44mag carbines?  Currently Winchester lists a 1 in 26", Marlin a 1 in 38"; I know that the faster twist is supposed to stablize longer bullets better, but what have you guys found?  I'm in the market for one of these for Cowboy Action & whitetail hunting, would like to be able to use bullets from 200 gr to about 300 gr in the rifle I buy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
One of my load books, says the increased twist rate of a new Ruger, 1 in 20" should increase acuracy for bullets beyond 240 grains.  Dont see any thing other than that.  
  Also due to the decreased powerder capacity, the volocity will decrease as well.   So, dont think it is trully going to mater.  Just base your needs off what info you can find and run.    Hope I helped.    Scout

·
Registered
241 Posts
My Marlin is a tack driver with both jacketed and hard cast 300g bullets (properly sized) driven to medium and max velocities with a 1:38 twist.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Same answer as Stranger.  Had a Marlin .44 in micro-groove no less.  Shot HARD!!! cast bullets as well as jacketed. Only went to 240 Speer FP but ir would shoot into 1-1/2" at 100 yds.  Currently have .45 Colt Cowboy II with same 38" twist and it shoots 326 gr LBT WLNGC into under 3" so the twist, even though it is marginal by the Greenhill formula, seems to do OK even with heavy/long bullets

1 - 4 of 4 Posts