Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 grains of lil'gun, 315 grain lee wheel weight cast bullet gas check.
ruger super blackhawk, 7.5" barrel

anything wrong with this load?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,163 Posts
Don't know. we haven;t shot it yet.

RJ

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not enough powder . You cannot down load lil'gun , H110 or 296. It will not ignite properly and you run the chance of getting the bullet stuck in your barrel. The Hogdon sit lists 17gr minimum for a 325 gr. bullet. Under loading these powders can lead to serious problems .

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't know if it's wrong...CHECK YOUR MANUAL!!!! Don't ever load outside the ranges specified in the manual; they were put there for a reason. As br549y pointed out, UNDER LOADING can create huge problems -- including pressure spikes. Yes, I know it seems counterintuitive, but it has been well-documented.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
What br549y said. You would be better off with 10 grains of Unique. That would be a nice round. Otherwise, follow the load data.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, i had some of the these rounds loaded, but pulled all of the bullets. going to try bullseye.
i load this bullet in my .444 and want to be able to cast only one bullet, so i am trying loads with this bullet in my .44 mag.
thanks for all the advice.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,663 Posts
I think I would try something in the medium burning range (ie. Unique as suggested above) before I tried Bullseye.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
thanks, i had some of the these rounds loaded, but pulled all of the bullets. going to try bullseye.
i load this bullet in my .444 and want to be able to cast only one bullet, so i am trying loads with this bullet in my .44 mag.
thanks for all the advice.
You need a reloading manual or 4. Bullseye and 315 gr bullet isn't a very good idea for a beginner...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need a reloading manual or 4. Bullseye and 315 gr bullet isn't a very good idea for a beginner...
then why does my alliant powder reloading guide list 6.8 grains of bullseye for a 315 lswc at 975 fps? since i am not a beginning reloader i guess it is ok to use this load? been reloading for 20 years so i guess it is ok.:D

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
You probably won't be very happy with the results, but go ahead and load that big bullet with Bullseye. The powder won't "detonate" or do any other mythical explosive thing. Unique is a much better choice for that bullet, and so is Lil Gun, although you should stick to published recipes, you're never too old or too experienced to learn new lessons.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You probably won't be very happy with the results, but go ahead and load that big bullet with Bullseye. The powder won't "detonate" or do any other mythical explosive thing. Unique is a much better choice for that bullet, and so is Lil Gun, although you should stick to published recipes, you're never too old or too experienced to learn new lessons.
i agree, i am never to old to learn something new. the reason for using bullseye is that i already have that powder on hand. you are correct, i won't get a "mythical" explosion, but then again i am not looking for one, just a low end midrange load for this bullet.
i agree with the above posts about unique, but i do not have that powder. if i can find a good load with bullseye then i can use up that full can of powder.
sorry, if i came across as a know-it-all, not my intension.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Bullseye is great for much smaller cases like the 9mm, .40 S&W, .38 Special, and .45 ACP. It'll work in the .44 Mag, but that bullet is too much for optimum performance. If I was going to load with Bullseye in my .44s, I would not exceed 200 grain bullets, lead only.

What other powders do you have on hand?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have bullseye, bluedot, 2400, and lilgun.

looking for around 850-900 fps with the 315 grain bullet, not sure if i can get that with lower charges of 2400 safely.
can't go low with lilgun
bluedot is another powder i am going to try, starting with 9.7 grains.

i still might just breakdown and get some trail boss, but i would sure like to get a low end load with either bluedot or bullseye. hate having cans a powder just sitting around.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
i agree with the above posts about unique, but i do not have that powder.
You've been reloading for 20 years and don't have Unique on hand?! :eek:

When it comes to reduced power pistol loads, Unique is the powder I always look at, first. However, I'm not sure you can safely load it down enough to achieve your target velocity. Looks like TrailBoss is your best bet.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
BlueDot would be my powder choice over Bullseye. I use Titegroup like most people use Unique, it works pretty well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You've been reloading for 20 years and don't have Unique on hand?! :eek:quote]

well, i recieved bluedot and bullseye for Christmas one year and i am still trying to use it up.

i read titeqroup is cleaner burning than unique. so many powders to choose from.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I have read many posts about one powder being cleaner than another, and Unique certainly deserves its reputation for leaving residue behind, but none of that has ever made any sense to me. I'm going to clean my gun after I am done shooting, and for many guns, they will get cleaned in-between groups, so what's the difference if there is a tiny amount of residue, or a much great amount, to be cleaned out? My bigger concern is always for the copper fouling anyway...the powder residue is something I pay almost no attention to, unless it's blocking the bore. (In which case, something is seriously wrong with the load I'm using! :eek: )

Actually, I did have that happen once when shooting hot 22LR loads in an old single-shot. All I can figure is the barrel/throat was eroded enough that there wasn't enough pressure build-up for the powder to burn completely. What I wound up with was a nearly plugged barrel, full of partially burned powder. Needless to say, I cleaned it thoroughly and switched to different loads!

I've just found Unique to be very useful over a wide range of applications and if I was limited to only 3 powders, it's one of the three I would certainly keep. Looking at the data for what you're wanting to do, I'm not sure it will go low enough in velocity and still be a safe load. Good luck finding a powder that will.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
then why does my alliant powder reloading guide list 6.8 grains of bullseye for a 315 lswc at 975 fps? since i am not a beginning reloader i guess it is ok to use this load? been reloading for 20 years so i guess it is ok.:D
You had your answer in front of you but still asked a question? Don't make much sense to me for an experienced reloader...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You had your answer in front of you but still asked a question? Don't make much sense to me for an experienced reloader...
yeah, but that was not my original question. and yes you are correct i had the info i was seeking as far as feet per second go, but not for lilgun. i was hoping to use that reduced load of lilgun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts