Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Police Officer Retired
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for nearly 2 weeks for a 44 Magnum load for a lever action rifle using 260 grain cast bullets.I have found every conceivable load but none with these 260 grain bullets. Is there a reason for that ? Made me think there was some law of physics against the 260 grain bullet. I purchased some bullets of other weights . Still got this box of 100 260 grain cast bullets.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
It may be a cursed bullet weight...at least for me.
A 260 gr. factory bear load blew up my brand new L frame SW model 69. Ammo maker replaced the revolver.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Back in the day (before I switched the 454 Casull), I used hard cast 300 grain LFP (lead flat point) bullets over the commonly recommended WIN 296 powder for about 1270-1300 FPS from Ruger heavy 44 Mag revolvers---these would shoot clean thru a large wild boar... Nobody I knew shot 260s... The 454 Casull would push a 300 grain JFP at about 1550-1600 FPS... Just sayin'...

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,779 Posts
I use 280s, myself. Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have been reloading Ranch Dog design 265 gr bullets for several years with data I got from RD;
TLC432265RF_44Mag_20_LoadNotes.jpg

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sorry about the small attachment, new format is too difficult to navigate and add larger pics...
TLC432265RF_44Mag_20_LoadNotes.jpg

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I have been searching for nearly 2 weeks for a 44 Magnum load for a lever action rifle using 260 grain cast bullets.I have found every conceivable load but none with these 260 grain bullets. Is there a reason for that ? Made me think there was some law of physics against the 260 grain bullet. I purchased some bullets of other weights . Still got this box of 100 260 grain cast bullets.
I don't know about 260 gr. but I've used 13 gr. of Blue Dot under a 265 gr. WFN-GC. The problem with .44 Mag is that most rifles have too slow a twist. They're still using the old 1:38 twist used in the 73 Winchester for the .44 WCF. That worked fine for a 200 gr. RNFP, but is too slow by half for anything over 240 gr. The Rossi 92 uses a 1:30 twist for their .44 and .45 barrels, but that is still way too slow. A 265 gr is as heavy as you can stabilize in the slow twists. Several writers have replaced their carbine barrels with barrels having the same twist as handguns in the 1:16-1:20 range, and report superb accuracy with the heavies. But you simply can't get enough powder into the case to push those heavy bullets fast enough to properly stabilize in the slow twist rate barrels. I've found that a 240-250 gr. RNFP works best in the carbines, and is more accurate than the typical Keith style 250 gr because it tends to be self centering in the rifle's throat and doesn't get dinged up in feeding like the Keith style. Also, avoid bevel based bullets like the plague. A plain base with a clean sharp edge is much more accurate and doesn't promote leading. There is a noticeable difference in accuracy in favor of the RNFP profile.

Reactions: gunpa

·
Registered
Police Officer Retired
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Instinct was right. I will use these in slingshot. You guys always have the answers. Thanks.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,779 Posts
I'd split the difference between 240 and 300gr. load data. If you aren't going to max, that should be plenty safe. Whether you'll get good results or not, that's difficult to predict in advance. Handloading ya know.....

I was thinking Speer had a jacketed 270gr. bullet, but I'm going from memory and can't get to my load books right now.

Reactions: gunpa

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Speer does have a 270 jacketed bullet. I've got some loaded up for my SBH. They kick plenty with H110!

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
I have used the 265gr Hornady RN (jacketed bullet), with 2400 and W296 in my SBH's, M69 S&W, and 77/44 Carbine. The load data is very close to the 270 Speer Deep Curl data for both powders. The Hornady bullet uses a 1.610" OAL, the Speer Bullet a 1.585" OAL. 2400 runs from 16gr at the low end, and stops at a bit more than 18gr at the top end. W296 goes from 21gr to 22gr with the Hornady bullet, and from 21gr to 21.6gr with the Speer bullet. Accuracy varies by not much with those ranges, but I've not had any problems with either bullet at max in any of my firearms.

I suspect those same load ranges would be OK with a 260 cast bullet unless OAL was shorter. Lyman also has data for AA No.9, Blue Dot, and H4227, (none of which I've tried), The most recent Hodgdon data has way more options.
Having used jacketed data for cast bullets many times, I doubt your 260gr cast would be a problem using heavier jacketed bullet data. Depending on bullet hardness and size, leading could be severe with some of the higher velocity options, and the faster powder options from the Hodgdon data like W231 or Tite Group might work better. ??

So data shouldn't be a problem, but getting to the powders these days might.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have a custom mold for 265 gr. that comes out, with my alloy, closer to 260. I base my loads on the data for the Hornady 265 gr. interlock and it shoots fine. Also, there are lots of folks who shoot 255 gr. Keiths and that's not far off. They will not stabilize in your .44 better than your sling-shot. If you want to dispose of them please send them to me and I'll take care of it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
One other thing, there is plenty of load data out there for 265 Hornady SP that have H110 giving velocities for rifles at 1600 to 1700 fps, so velocity isn't really the problem unless your alloy will not bear that speed. Horandy's manual has rifle loads for 265 gr and accuracy was good.

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
Hodgdon has data for a 270-grain Gold Dot Soft Point for both handguns and slightly warmer for rifles. Gold Dots have plated jackets that are more like the hardness of a hardcast bullet than of a conventional jacketed bullet. I don't know how the length of the 260's the OP has compare to the GD. The GD is 0.752" according to the JBM site's length list. With a lube grove, the 260's may be similar and I would, in that case, just use the 270 data. If they are longer, I would not go past the halfway point for the 270 data unless I was desperate to squeeze the last foot per second out, in which case I would be making pressure readings with my Pressure Trace, but being very diligent with pressure signs would work, too.

Reactions: Darkker

·
Registered
723 Posts
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition has 44 magnum Rifle data up to 250 grs.
In the handgun section there is data to for bullets to 310 grs.
Look at the data for Saeco #430 , 265 grains RF and you will be safe to use it with your 260 gr. bullets .
Be sure and try these rounds in your lever gun ... the longer bullet may be fine in a revolver but not feed through the magazine and action of a lever action rifle ... but the data is there.

Anyone who loads cast bullets needs to have access to the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks and the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual isn't bad to have on hand either .
Gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts