Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for handloading suggestions on a mid-range load, 1000-1100 fps, 210 gr bullet, for a"house" and knocking-around load for my Uberti Cattleman "Callahan" .44 Mag (nice gun, btw).

I'm looking at Trail Boss for the powder. Will that do what I want with that weight of bullet? And what other powders might be optimal?

The Uberti handles normal .44 Mag loads fine and is very shootable with them. But I live in an apartment house with neighbors so full-bore loads might be a bit, um, intrusive (I load Glasers for the house gun now, but those are expensive to practice with) if the balloon goes up.

I know I could shoot .44 specials but I don't want the hassle of two sizes of brass laying around when I only have the one revolver.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I'm looking for handloading suggestions on a mid-range load, 1000-1100 fps, 210 gr bullet, for a"house" and knocking-around load for my Uberti Cattleman "Callahan" .44 Mag (nice gun, btw).

I'm looking at Trail Boss for the powder. Will that do what I want with that weight of bullet? And what other powders might be optimal?

The Uberti handles normal .44 Mag loads fine and is very shootable with them. But I live in an apartment house with neighbors so full-bore loads might be a bit, um, intrusive (I load Glasers for the house gun now, but those are expensive to practice with) if the balloon goes up.

I know I could shoot .44 specials but I don't want the hassle of two sizes of brass laying around when I only have the one revolver.

Any advice would be appreciated.

My standard field load for the .44 Mag was nothing more than Skeeter Skelton's .44 Special load adjusted for the longer case. A 250 gr. Keith style cast semi-wadcutter with any powder that gave it 1000 fps. 7.5-8.0 of Unique or 10 gr. of Blue Dot both work well. Accuracy was superb. Even for self defense, that load is more than adequate. There is no need at all for full bore magnum loads for anything short of bears.

Reactions: mtmrolla

·
Registered
762 Posts
I got best accuracy with a 250 & 260 swc (a Keith bullet and the other a Thompson gc swc) using 18 grns of 2400. Velocity is between 1150fps and 1200 fps depending on the gun.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My midrange load is 265 gr SWCGC, 9.1 gr of HP-38 and WLP primer in WW cases.
1075 fps from my 6" model 629 Classic with 1.4" 5-shot groups at 25 yds off sandbags.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
My SBH gets a bit less than 900fps with a 5.5" barrel, and 7.5gr of TB, under a 210gr Remington HP. There is a tiny bit of room left, as compressed loads are not recommended.

If you need 1000fps, Unique, W231, or a similar burn rate would be a better bet.

·
Super Moderator
13,769 Posts
Caution

TMan and Richard,

Note that Trail Boss is only recommended for lead bullets in straight wall cases. No jacketed bullets except in bottleneck rifle cases.

When Trail Boss first came out the fact Hodgdon had no jacketed bullet data for handgun loads with it (and they still don't) got a lot of attention. Unexplained pressure spikes with jacketed bullets in the straight wall cases was the reason I saw offered. I don't know why that should be so in handguns cartridges and not in the larger rifle cartridges, but apparently it is. Perhaps the rifles just tolerate enough more pressure for a mild spike not to be a problem.

In any event, if you want to play with jacketed bullets with this powder, I would call Hodgdon to see if anything has changed before doing so.

Richard, I also note the NEI has molds for four different full wadcutter designs in .429 bullets. There is a double ended 185 grain, a bevel base 185 grain, a gas checked 196 grain, and a plain base 200 grain. I would give hard consideration to the 200 grain plain base if you want a good target bullet, and the 196 grain if you intend to use gas checks and want to drive it faster or if you have leading issues. Full wadcutters stop game surprisingly well and don't penetrate barriers all that well. I've only heard of two incidents involving wadcutters on two legged critters, and both produced one-shot-stops despite being loaded to target velocities. You can easily get either one to well over 1000 fps with Hodgdon Universal, though you may only want to try that with the gas checked version, depending on your gun's bore condition.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
There is a short barreled factory load with a 200 gr Gold Dot bullet that goes about 1000 fps. That might be what you are looking for.

For handloads, you should be able to duplicate this load with Unique. Or try a 200 gr cast bullet with Trail Boss. 200 gr cowboy bullets are about the cheapest you can get for the 44. They work great in a number of 44 rifles and pistols I have used them in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the advice.

I hear what you're saying about the pressure spikes with Trail Boss. I'd heard you could get those if you overcompressed the load, which broke the "cheerios" and increased the burn rate.

Maybe the added resistance of a jacketed bullet is causing that as the powder is compressed during combustion?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.