Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,761 Posts
Wheelgunner,

I've used 2.5gr and 3.0gr. of Red Dot without sticking any slugs in the barrel, but as Mike points out, each revolver is a little different.

Which brings us to the point that I'm sure you've already picked up on, make sure your shooting at something that will allow you to recognize when the slug doesn't make all the way down the barrel. I always shoot in to a sand bank that makes it obvious that everything worked correctly. Obviously the last thing you want to do is find a stuck slug by shooting another one right behind it....even with light loads.

Dan

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,761 Posts
Greenhorn Dave,

Don't know if the "Greenhorn" applies to anyone that can handle a firelapping projuct like you did, excellent technique and report. I also found that I needed to bell the mouth and add a slight crimp. My belling (may have been excessive) required straightening before the cartridge would fit in the chamber.

While you had the patience to do it correctly, I didn't. Figured if a little elbow grease worked for impregnating the bullets, a lot of elbow grease would do it quicker. Well, it did, but I ended up with impregnated bullets that were .002/.003 undersize....obviously not a succesful way to fire lap.

Looking forward to your next project/data.

Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts