Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever used any .44 special for deer hunting? Now that I got my Puma 92 working right im thinking about using it for deer hunting next season. Im gonna definatly bust some hogs soon as possiable. Just wandering what you guys and gals think about hot .44 special for critter hunting. Most likely im gonna use some hand rolled .44 mag. The reason I ask about the special is my little well not that little anymore hes 18 wants to go hunting with me. I figgured im gonna break him in on hogs. However he is extreamly recoil sensitive. Ive been working with him trying to work him up to more recoil. He shoots my AR-15 with no problem. He has shot a .44 mag / special of our dads he can handle perty hot loaded .44 special. He will fire the midrange .44mag but his accuracy goes to crap and he starts flinching and can only get off a few rounds before he gives up. Im thinking about loading up some .44mag in incriments form light to hot and slowly working him up to his tolerence and trying to go from their. Any way got any suggestions.

·
Banned
484 Posts
Lots of deer and hogs have been killed with .44/40 rifles in the past and your .44 Special with a full load will duplicate that round and still produce mild recoil. I would try a 240 gr. JHP with 7.5 to 8.0 grains of Unique and go hunting. You should get about 1100 fps out of your rifle and a dead critter every time if the bullet goes where it should. It would be an effective 100 yard gun and load. I have killed 3 deer with those bullets from .44 Magnum revolvers that only produced about 150 fps more than your .44 Spl. rifle would and they ran 40 yards or so and piled up.

If you want to stick with .44 Magnum brass, try 8.5 to 9.0 grains of Unique for the same result.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
+1 to what Bobby said.

My 12 year-old daughter used a Model 92 in 44/40, shooting STOUT loads, to take her first doe, this past September. I hand loaded 200gr Hornady XTPs that jump out of the barrel around 1500fps. The way I got her used to shooting it is by using a sled until she was accustomed to the trigger and the noise of the gun, then she was not at all worried about shooting it, from the shoulder...and that's with the original metal butt-plate! Then again, my daughter ain't skeered o' nuthin! She scares me, as a matter of fact! :eek:

Also, she practiced with a folded up towel on her shoulder and hunted with several layers of clothing, which reduces felt recoil effect quite a bit.

Jason

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just in case i always like to try a few factory loads and find one or two that work well in my guns eventhough I reload. I always like to ability to go buy some rounds incase I dont have any loaded or if I happen to forget my ammo. Do you have any suggestions for factory ammo that will be up to par for deer hunting with .44 special?

·
Banned
484 Posts
If you want to deer hunt with the .44 Spl. and factory loads, look for JHP ammo sold for self-defense. The CorBon DPX would be the very best, but any of the loads using a 200 gr. or heavier bullet would impress a deer (after all, they are about the same size as humans). Also you could use the WFN hard cast loads by Buffalo Bore or others with good results, I'll bet.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
A 250 grain cast at 1000 fps will take deer...I know, I have taken two with that load. Also took two deer with the 45 acp...a 200 Speer hollowpoint at 850 fps. I dont think its so much about the load, but the placement of the shot. If your son can hit the spot, he could take a deer with a 22LR.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A 240--260 lead semi wad cutter loaded to 1000 --1100 fps. muzzel velocity will shoot through a big whitetail at 100yds. ( longways) not a hot load--heavy kick load for a rifle, and only a stout load in a Smith / Ruger pistol, not as much kick as a warm loaded 44 Mag. Greg Bayes in Kentucky.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I have become a fan of Power Pistol powder in the 44 special. I can get 1000 fps from a 4 5/8 in RBH with 8.5 grs and a 250 gr SWC and still not exceed specs. I have not tried it in my 1894 carbine yet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Recoil sensitive? Try a "Limbsaver" or other shock absorber on the rifle. It aint pretty but it may be all that is needed to improve his followup shots and confidence with the rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts