Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oldest son just bought a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 special,have any of you got any good loads for this cartridge.I also don't know much about Charter Arms so any comments would be welcome.

·
Registered
252 Posts
All I've ever heard about Charter is that their quality can be a bit iffy.  Never owned one, though.  My favorite 44 Special load, which I fire a lot of in my magnums, is 4.8 grs Titegroup behind a 240-gr LSWC, usually Oregon Trail.  Great accuracy and mild recoil.  If recoil is too stiff in the little Charter, you can cut back to around 4.0 grs and see how it works; or experiment with a lighter cast bullet.
Good shooting
Mark

·
Banned
169 Posts
About the gun I have no first hand knowledge. As for a .44 Special load I shoot a lot of these in my S&W 696 6.5 grains of Unique under a 240 gr Cast SWC. My bullets are from a company called Valiant out of
Alabama(?). Good luck, Sean

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Shoalbass,

A good friend of mine regularly shoots and carries a steel frame Charter Arms Bulldog.  For the last eight or nine years the load he uses is our .431"-240g WFNPB bullet seated over 6.4g Unique, WLPP and Winchester brass.  It has proven wonderfully accurate in the little gun, very managable in recoil and stunningly effective on such critters as coyotes, feral dogs and close ranging whitetails.

His gun is still relatively tight (about as tight as I think they ever were), shoots well and digests this load very nicely.  However, his gun is one of the all steel frame models, and not one of the alloy frame guns... not sure how much difference that would make, but I do mention it here for reference sake.

Hope this helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 4 of 4 Posts