Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is the only powder I had on hand so I am trying 47,49,50,52,amd52.2 gr loads. I have a chrony to see how they do. Any suggestions.?

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Yikes!!!!

AA !680 is a pretty fast powder for the .444, and this application to my notion. Although I've used quite a lot of it in .375 Winchester, I'll have to confess to not having employed it with the heavier bullets in the .444.

Chris, please proceed with caution! I'd only say that it's totally uncharted water as far as I can tell, as I find no data for even extrapolating a starting point with the .444 and the heavy 355g WLNGC.

Let us all know what you find!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hummm....maybe I should disassemble these eight shells and weight untill I can get to town for RL-7? My AA book(Acurrate Reloading Manual) shows 1680 working with the lighter bullets but not the heavier bullets. So I just backed it off from 52 grs to 47 for starters and went up from there. I also noticed the loads had to be much shorter then max. listed overall to work through my Winchester loading gate. I think that has to do with the big wide nose. I needed a 2.49 or shorter to feed in the gate. Oh and my name is Casey, not Chris. Thanks. I am leaning towards waiting for a trip to town for RL-7 now that I have your advice burning in the back of my mind.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Casey,

Yes, I feel much better that you're going to disassemble your potential frag grenades! (perhaps over-stated, but none the less a wise decision in my opinion)

When shopping for powder for your .444, RL-7 as you have mentioned and H335 are top picks, along with H322. These powders will deliver both velocity and pressures within the working realm of reasonable for your Winchester 94BB.

Too, I've heard of others with the same difficulties concerning wide meplat bullets and COL in regard to the loading gates and "bending the corner" into the magazine tube.

Let us know what you find and how your gun shoots once you get some powder!

Thanks for the update!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, now I have a batch loaded with RL-7, started with 40 and worked up to 43 in .5 gr increments. Is this batch safe to shoot Marshall? :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts