Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone use buf bore or grizzly ammo. just finished trapperizing a 81 44s. what the best ammo for hog and large game

·
Registered
718 Posts
444 Marlin Ammo

For hogs and other big game you can use any commercial .444 Marlin ammo except for the Remington 240 gr SP. I find that this bullet is too fragile for big game, except for deer. Some hunters prefer the new Hornady 265 grain LeveRevolution. However, the 265 grain Hornady flat point Custom 444 ammo cost less and will kill anything on this continent just as dead.

If you still want the ultra-expensive premium ammo, Buffalo Bore is a good one. Another one is Cor-Bon. They make a 280 grain ($65) and a 305 grain ($75) load in the 444.

www.dakotaammo.com . www.ableammo.com .

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
The previous poster gave you some good advice and info. However, the very fine 265gr Hornady FN bullet and load have been just about impossible to find of late (even just the component 265gr FN bullet). I have found that my early 80s .444S (Micro Groove) does, however shoot the 265gr LE ammo like a house afire. Many believe the MG barrels will not shoot it well, but mine shoots it great (yours might too). The link below is for a place that sells some performance ammo for the .444 at decent prices. I've not used their .444 stuff but have some in a bunch of other calibers, including 45-70 and it all is quality stuff. Might be worth a call to them (HSM AMMO)

Good Luck!!

PG 14 of their online catalogue
http://www.thehuntingshack.com/catalog/retail/Retail.pdf

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I took my .444 Marlin and 45-70 Marlin to the range 2 weeks ago.........man was it HOT!!! However, I was shooting the Hornady Leverevolution ammo in the triple deuce and it did a great job of printing tight groups. I was a bit impressed with the 265 grain bullet! It would work just great on big hogs.

Now if you really want a bullet that is very hard to top in performance and penetration of big game animals, you can get some of those Beartooth hardcast bullets. These are going to be hard to beat in putting down big critters you bet. The Jr. Pildrivers are tops and very accurate in my model 1895 Marlin .444.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts