·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

2.400", trimmed to 2.390"
Started with a 376 Steyr case.
Made some belting dies.
Then blew it out with Cream of Wheat.
With the 265 Hornady, it will fit into a 2.800" magazine.
The neck is too thin for the Hornady 444 dies, it doesn't hold the bullet.
44 Mag pistol should neck size it just fine.
Any way, I now have a 444 Marlin that can be used in a bolt gun, or AR 10.
Calling it a 444B
Holds 73.0 grains of H2O.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yep, good thinking. That beats anything that I have seen in a 444 bolt gun or 444 rimless. It pretty much eliminates all the issues of putting a 444 in a bolt. It could also be shortened to 1.8" to meet goofy MI rules. I am certain it can push more velocity than my shoulder can from a hunting rifle.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
That last image didn't come through, but is one I would be interested in seeing.

This phenomenon of creating a belt where one did not exist, to create headspace somewhere other than the mouth, seems to be catching on.

I was curious how this round would compare with the 450 Marlin. The 444B is about .300" longer and shoots the smaller diameter bullet. The possibility of chambering a 450M in a 444B chamber is eye-opening. :eek:

·
Registered
367 Posts
The possibility of chambering a 450M in a 444B chamber is eye-opening. :eek:
I don't have the cartridge drawing, but I can make some assumptions. The case body on the 376 Steyr is .504" in diameter, so I would assume the formed belt diameter would be .504". The case body diameter ahead of the belt is .512" on the 450M. You are right, it would be eye opening. You would hear the firing pin fall, and nothing else. From what I can see, the 444B will not headspace in a 450M chamber.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The body starts out at .502. [Hornady brass]
I belt it down to .470, rebate the rim to .472, then trim the .218 belt to .495 diameter.
Resize and load with Hornady 444 dies.
Trimmed to 2.390" the case capacity [73] is just one grain shy of the 450M.
As for fitting in a 450M, unless there is an extra long free bore......the .452 case mouth won't fit the bore.
Did the belt cross section show up, it works on my phone?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can't see the belt cross section. There is just a big - on my screen. Shows there should be something there, but there is not.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Lol...sweet. ...I'm running 300 gr. Sierra in my 444 at 2400 I beet you can top that easily. ...my loaded length with the 265ftx is 2.800.. velocity is 2450 but I'm impressed. ..I learn something new every time I look to see what you guys are doing

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Over working brass?

Since that Steyr Parent cartridge wasn't too successful, wouldn't it make sense to just find a similar European cartridge and leave it as is?? I made a 44 x 356BB wildcat, 51mm long, and now use Hornady 265 gr. Flex Tips in it. I get a little over 1800 fps with them, which is about their minimum working velocity. I rate it as a 200 yd. Muley killer, but I haven't blooded it yet. After much experimenting, I found that IMR 4198 still works the best. I have it in a re-cut 1 in 20 twist Win. M. 94, and it's still a carbine with it's 20 inch long barrel. If I make a second Win. it will sport at least a half Oct. 24 inch long barrel. My light weight carbine really snorts at both ends.

I really don't suggest anyone try this with a Crescent Butt Plate, like on those Win. 94's, "Legendary Lawman", 38-55's.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
"wouldn't it make sense to just find a similar European cartridge and leave it as is??"

Yes it would make sense, but then I wouldn't have a Miniature 458 Win Mag!....in 44 cal.

I guess the main reason for the belt is so that the bullet can have a heavy crimp, if needed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Profiling a barrel today, putting it on an old Stevens 200, has a 2.880" magazine.

Extra heavy sporter!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Holy Crap!

Takes three dies on the "Chucker", ready to finish on the lathe!

What if this was a 375 H&H case????............in a 411.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Holy Crap!

Takes three dies on the "Chucker", ready to finish on the lathe!

What if this was a 375 H&H case????............in a 411.
I would think the amount of case taper on the H&H case that would be required to get down to .411 might be enough to cause issues. That was an issue with the H&H designs to start with was case stretch and bolt thrust from what I understand.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, the H&H case may be a bit long. But we now have a 400 Belted Whelen case!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just belted a 340 Weatherby case, didn't have an H&H. 41 cal.

Holds 90 grains of H2O and is 2.900" long!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts