Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would just like to know if I'm doing this right. Using a Dillon 550B press, I'm loading Marshall's 290 gr LFNGC bullets sized to .431 in front of 51.5 gr. of RL7. This seems to be a compressed load because to seat the bullet to attain an OAL of 2.57", I really have to crank the seating die down so much so that I can see where the bullet backs back out of the case.  This causes erratic OALs from 2.56 to 2.62. This load shoots very accurate at 2277 fps but the longer rounds hang up a little in the Marlin 444ss.
Any suggestions, comments or criticisims would be appreciated.

Smokepole

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Try backing off a few grains just to see how much easier it is for you to seat and crimp. You may not lose all that much velocity either.

You could also try a long drop tube on your powder funnel. Although, R7 is pretty short grained to begin with and may not pack much more for you using this method.

I can't comment directly on the load you have though as I've never tried it.

Regards

<!--EDIT|Contender|May 19 2002,11:16-->

·
Registered
178 Posts
The long drop tube is the standard answer for settling powder in the case, and it does do a OK job with out an extra step. I have found a more effective method, adding one small step however, using a palm sander to vibrate the charged cases. My loading bench is steel and transmits vibration well so I simply hold the sander's rubber pad to the bench on either side of the loading block. If like my old bench yours is wood and damps the vibration either mount your loading block to a piece of metal long enough to rest the sander on, or slightly start the bullet in the case with the seating die and press the sander against the press. Any of these methods gives an "el cheapo" mini version of the vibration equipment used in a variety of comercial packaging to settle goods in their packages.

This vibration method works well enough that if a load is still a compressed load this way you may want to rethink it. Two caveats: You need to use a cheap vibrating pad sander not a good random orbit. Do not shake your powder to powder ten seconds or so does the trick.

Fireplug

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Fireplug,

That is a fascinating idea.

I'm going to try that with a few compressed loads I have to see what transpires.

Thanks for the tip.

Regards

·
Registered
339 Posts
You need to get the lee collet crimp die and crimp your bullets where they need to be. In the 444 most Hard cast bullets will need to be crimped above the crimp groove. You will not be disapointed..........Marko
With A single stage press I do this:
adjust your  (seating die ) not to crimp.
With the powder in the case take a pencil and tap the base of the case with the eraser end 10 or so times........seat your bullet and let the case set in the die 15-20 secounds in the upstroke (seated )
position to let powder compress and the air escape.

Now you can use the Lee crimper and crimp your case.  I have loaded more then 51grains of powder this way...........................................Marko

I don't know if this will work with a dillion press.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts