Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland~

Just after beartooth crashed i got to the range with my new .444 a 1988 Marlin .444ss

I loaded my Lee bullets from the 310 mold over 50.8 gn of H4895 with Lee Alox as lube.

What can i say ? This load is the first i have fired from a .444 it sounds very load and certinally kicks well. I find hold on and let rip !

I zeroed at 200 yards on our club range with a 4 x 44 tasco
and was getting groups of approx 2 1/2" to 3" which really suprised me.

I will fit my Ashley gost rings once ive settled on a load.

My H4895 load and the .444 instilled such confidence, it almost gives you the feeling of invulnerable ! There can not be many critters that could with stand that load !

I have now switched to Vihtavuori N133 as recommended by Jack R and have just started working with it, more on that later.....................................

A note on the Lee 310 bullet i found to load though the gate of my Marlin .444ss i had to seat it to 2.52" but it felt a little too hard to close the lever so i dropped to 2.51"

Boy i love my .444 !

Englander
:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Congrats on the 444. That is the same load I shoot in my Win Timber Carbine 444. It is a good solid load. I have to seat the 310gr Lee WFNGC past the crimp groove. I use a Lee factory crimp die to secure the bullet.

I have the Ashley sights on mine and really like them. They are fast to pickup and accurate.

Enjoy!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
W-o-o-o-o-o-w!!!!! Those are some fantastic groups at 200 yards with first-attempt home-cast bullets & your own reloads.

Maybe you can set up a European branch of Beartooth Bullets?

Anyway, great news.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bigfoot~ When you say " same load " are you referring to the complete load ie: bullet and powder or just bullet ?
Would be interested to know ?

Have you used any other powders with this bullet?

dclark1~ Yep give me my big bore any day !

Mike~ Yes this was my first attempt with my first cast bullets and i really did not expect any thing as good as i got !
Considering i want the gun for Deer at wood land ranges im impressed !

Now i have the urge try " Marlina " at 500 yards just for fun !

Will keep you posted.

Englander

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Englander;

The load is exactly the same, same bullet and powder. I am currrently using IMR 4895, I bought 8 lbs of it ( new surplus )
at a very good price.

I haven't tried "bench rest " shooting the 444 for groups yet although I do have a 300 yard range to use. The groups are very good offhand up to 150 yards or so.

I want to use it on a wild boar hunt in Tennessee this fall.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
This is just another example of how good a cartridge the 444 really is. I don't think it gets anywhere near the credit it deserves. I've sold my own Marlin Outfitter, but only because of those darn ports at the end of the barrel. It was never an issue of accuracy, as witnessed below.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts