Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Scotland~

Just after beartooth crashed i got to the range with my new .444 a 1988 Marlin .444ss

I loaded my Lee bullets from the 310 mold over 50.8 gn of H4895 with Lee Alox as lube.

What can i say ? This load is the first i have fired from a .444 it sounds very load and certinally kicks well. I find hold on and let rip !

I zeroed at 200 yards on our club range with a 4 x 44 tasco
and was getting groups of approx 2 1/2" to 3" which really suprised me.

I will fit my Ashley gost rings once ive settled on a load.

My H4895 load and the .444 instilled such confidence, it almost gives you the feeling of invulnerable ! There can not be many critters that could with stand that load !

I have now switched to Vihtavuori N133 as recommended by Jack R and have just started working with it, more on that later.....................................

A note on the Lee 310 bullet i found to load though the gate of my Marlin .444ss i had to seat it to 2.52" but it felt a little too hard to close the lever so i dropped to 2.51"

Boy i love my .444 !

Englander
:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Congrats on the 444. That is the same load I shoot in my Win Timber Carbine 444. It is a good solid load. I have to seat the 310gr Lee WFNGC past the crimp groove. I use a Lee factory crimp die to secure the bullet.

I have the Ashley sights on mine and really like them. They are fast to pickup and accurate.

Enjoy!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,495 Posts
W-o-o-o-o-o-w!!!!! Those are some fantastic groups at 200 yards with first-attempt home-cast bullets & your own reloads.

Maybe you can set up a European branch of Beartooth Bullets?

Anyway, great news.

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bigfoot~ When you say " same load " are you referring to the complete load ie: bullet and powder or just bullet ?
Would be interested to know ?

Have you used any other powders with this bullet?

dclark1~ Yep give me my big bore any day !

Mike~ Yes this was my first attempt with my first cast bullets and i really did not expect any thing as good as i got !
Considering i want the gun for Deer at wood land ranges im impressed !

Now i have the urge try " Marlina " at 500 yards just for fun !

Will keep you posted.

Englander

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Englander;

The load is exactly the same, same bullet and powder. I am currrently using IMR 4895, I bought 8 lbs of it ( new surplus )
at a very good price.

I haven't tried "bench rest " shooting the 444 for groups yet although I do have a 300 yard range to use. The groups are very good offhand up to 150 yards or so.

I want to use it on a wild boar hunt in Tennessee this fall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.