Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the Marlin Forum and Mr. Sundles(BB Ammo) states that Marshalls Top load with 330 Gr. is running 60,000CUP. Any comments on the pressures of thest loads???

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Tony,

I just sent Tim Sundles and email... I'll let you know what shakes out!  Thanks for the heads up on the post.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mr. Stanton:

I, too, saw Mr. Sundles' post on the Marlin forum stating that your "pet load" runs 60,000 CUP.

After reviewing the velocities of Buffalo Bore .444 ammo, they appear to be similar to the velocities that your loads run, at least the loads you listed on the recent excellent articles you have written.  I know there are other variables.  You and Mr. Sundles may be using different components, for instance.

Anyway, some of us out here would be interested to know how it turns out.  I can't imagine that someone of your experience would promote using a load running that high of pressure.

You know what they say, don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you read!

Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Ray Floyd

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Actually Mr. Sundles replied with a very cordial letter, and we have corresponded about such variables as bullet lube quality, bullet design, alloys and such that greatly influence pressures in any given load.

With his assistance some of these loads will be pressure tested down the road to get actual pressure readings.  This will be a benefit to all.

As Ray has noted, the loads I've published, and the loads they sell are not much different in the performance levels.  Too, that load of H335 that I've shared for years, I have over a dozen years worth of chronograph data gathered from a cold 18 degrees below zero to a hot 104 degrees in summer heat!  Interestingly the load varies less than 90 fps in an ambient temperature span of 122 degrees!  It certainly isn't too awfully temperature sensitive.

I'll keep you fine folks posted as to the outcome of the pressure testing when we get that put together!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Hodgdon Data Manual No. 26 has the following data for the .444 Marlin:

250 gr. bullet / 57 grs. / H335 / 2120 fps / 29,600 CUP
300 gr. bullet / 57 grs. / H335 / 2152 fps / 39,600 CUP

Based on that, all things being equal, a 330 gr. bullet with 56 grs. H335 might look something like this:

330 gr. bullet / 56 grs. / H335 / 2244 fps*/ 46,400 CUP

That's what "p.s.i. per bullet wt./grain"  would tell us, but given different bullet seating depths, different lots of powder, primer type, etc. can skew the data.

Marshall,  how does the seating depth of your 330 gr. bullet compare to a commercial 300 gr. jacketed?

* Marshalls test result

Sincerely,
John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts