Shooters Forum banner

.444 loads

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Contender 
#1 ·
Anyone using light weight bullets for the .444 Marlin?
This is for fun / recreation shooting.   What loads
will deliver the fastest speed?  This is in a 22" barrel.  Have played around with
210 Sierra HP and  49-50 gr of H-4198......Very explosive! Shoots nice out to 200 yds.  Have no idea what kind of speed I'm getting.  Would like some listed recipes.  My books don't list bullets that light.
Any actual recipes listed?    

(Edited by Brian444 at 11:12 pm on Dec. 27, 2001)

#2 ·
Just to toss this out to you, A number of years ago I used starting to mid level loads with a Speer 225 gr. HP bullet. This is the old type half jacketed SWC that I believe is still available.

Accuracy was extremely good when I shot it at about 60 yds. free standing (about 2" or less) and quite manageable recoil wise. And yes they blew up massively when they hit the dirt bank in a shower of mud.

This was in my pre-chrono days so no velocities for you. Used Hodgdon's H4198 from a Lee Dipper for fast powder dispensing on a budget at the time.

Regards, Ray

#4 ·
Jeff,

The Lee Dipper was a 3.7cc which nominally dropped about 47 grs of H4198. The book listed speed in my Hodgdon manual is 2,297 FPS for the 225 gr. bullet in a 24" bbl. This is a starting load listed at 33,000 CUP. Max loading is listed as 50 grs. and 2,480 FPS at 37,800 CUP.

Primer was a Winchester LR.

Also, crimp this bullet just over the jacket/lead junction at the front driving band area.

Grab yourself a set of Lee Dippers if you don't currently own them. Some may snicker at them but after you buy them, you will be amazed at how much you use them. Especially when you are just not in the mood to fumble with the drum measure.

ALWAYS verify the charge thrown with them and any fixed or adjustable measure prior to loading.

Have Fun, Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.