Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been loading the .444 Marlin for years with 240g bullets. I started loading the 265g Hornady bullet some time ago and noticed I was getting a very slight "bulge" where the base of the bullet stops in the case. When I load 300g bullets the "bulge" is very noticable. The cases still chamber fine, but it "urks" me.

This problem is no where near as pronounced with "new" brass so I am suspecting that my dies are somewhat undersized.

Has anyone else seen this? BTW, it's not happening during the crimping process because I crimp them seperate from the seating process using a lee factory crimp die.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,579 Posts
Not uncommon with straight or nearly straight cases. If they chamber without any additional resistance (as compared to the 240gr. reloads) then don't worry about it.

I suspect that you can back your sizing die out of the press just a bit so that the case isn't resized so much, if it really bothers you.

It is really nothing to worry about. Very common with .44 mag, .45 Colt, etc., loads.

Reactions: rvance

·
Banned
1 Posts
Hi,

I have been loading the .444 Marlin for years with 240g bullets. I started loading the 265g Hornady bullet some time ago and noticed I was getting a very slight "bulge" where the base of the bullet stops in the case. When I load 300g bullets the "bulge" is very noticable. The cases still chamber fine, but it "urks" me.

This problem is no where near as pronounced with "new" brass so I am suspecting that my dies are somewhat undersized.

Has anyone else seen this? BTW, it's not happening during the crimping process because I crimp them seperate from the seating process using a lee factory crimp die.
brass is getting tired, use the new brass for heavy hitters & load your lighter ones in older, just keep an eye on it

·
Registered
9,734 Posts
Actually, tend to rely on that bit of a bulge ....considering how they bounce back and forth in the mag. tube, just makes me a bit more comfortable to have that kind of a stop rather than hoping just the crimp holds the bullet in place.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,138 Posts
This is the second zombie thread you resurrected. Apparently there isn't much going on in Jersey at 2am....
Why don't you start with the rules in This sticky.

This thread is closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.