Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have decided a Winchester 94 in 444 Marlin is in my future. I think i NEED it to go with my beloved 375 BB. As a fan of the rifle configuration 94s with the 26" barrel, I might have it rebarreld with a 26" octagon someday. Even with a frontend swap, it would still be cheaper and lighter than a similar styled 1886. At any rate, what kind of velocity difference should be expected from 17.5, 20, and 26" barrels? Also, at what point does the 45-70 start to out power/run the 444?

Thanks Much
JuanTedman

·
Registered
339 Posts
Juan,
        I would lean toward a marlin more then a Winchester. I too love the BB375 but the new BB444
is nowhere near as good as rifle. Winchester really droped the ball on fit and function it is light years behind
the BB375. To me the BB444 is a rifle that looks and feels that it were made in China.  With that said why not go with a Marlin 45-70 Cowboy? or finb a older model Marlin 444 with the 24" barrel and stright stock.

I have a BB444 that I hunt with but to get it to the point where it cycles smooth and trigger pull was good and hit were I aimed was a time consuming event. Now I will say this  with a Williams FP Sight and handLoads this short light rifle is a dandy in the thick stuff......Marko

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi juan tedman. I shoot an old 444 with a 24 " barrel. No I don't want cut it off and drill a bunch of sissy slots in it. I like 24 " barrels on my rifles, they hold well and carry just fine. Yeah I've got a 45/70 marlin that is just sitting around. doesn't shoot nearly as flat and kicks a heck of a lot more. Plus I've got a 450 Alaskan for 45 bullets. I find myself carrying the 444 most of the time in our grizzly country. The 45/70 is wonderful and all that, but come out here and lets shoot rocks at unkown distances and count hits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts