Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's my delima, this year, since my birthday, father's day and anniversary all fell on the same weekend, I talked my wife into buying me a new gun...one present for all three! :D So, I've been looking. My 11 year old daughter told me that she want's to go deer hunting this year, so my initial choices were a .243 or a .30-30...something that I thought might be a little easier on her. Well, I was in my local gun shop the other day and noticed a new .444p Marlin. The owner told me that he'd make me a good deal on it if I'd buy it. He's a good friend of mine and business is really tight right now. I'd really like to help him out. :rolleyes: To be honest, I've fallen in love with that gun and would really like to have it. I do reload. Can anyone tell me, can I get this cartridge down to levels mild enough for her, yet stout enough for deer? Where we're hunting, we're only looking at ranges or 50-100 yards. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable letting her take a shot longer than that.

This year she went turkey hunting and shot 20ga 1 1/8oz heavy field loads. We spent several afternoons in the field patterning and practicing without too much of a problem. The ports aren't a problem because both her and I use electronic hearing protection in the field and muff/plugs on the range.

I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Eric

· Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I went and bought the .444P. Walked out the door with a brand new rifle and $350.00 less in my pocket! I can't wait to start playing. BTW, I went the KC, Kansas Cabela's store today for their annual Fall Hunting Expo. My buddy and I walked away VERY disappointed. I went, of course, looking for a bargain on a new rifle. What I found was that even at their "sale" price, they were STILL considerably higher than I have seen the same guns selling for elsewhere. I won't make that mistake again!

Eric

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.