Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help date my pre-'72 444. It has 24" barrel and oiled walnut monte carlo stock. Serial # is 69 532xx
Thanks
Jaydee

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Jaydee,

I'm sorry that I can't answer your specific question but still wanted to welcome you to the Beartooth Board. Hopefully someone can be more helpful, but the 24" barrel and stock info narrow it down. Marlin switched to the 22" and a pistol grip buttstock w/o Monte Carlo in '71. So your 444 is from the first five years or so of production.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Your Rifle is a 1969 you have one of the better 444's out there.................................................................Marko

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is great. I stumbled across it in a Black powder gun store while looking for a rifle for my son. It was about 95% except for a scratch on the receiver. Paid $249, one of our better deals.
I thought the 1st 2 numbers were the date but wante to know for sure. Thanks
This gun got me started casting bullets after factoy remington
240 grain bullet blew up the deer I shot with it. The entrance wound was bigger than my fist.
Load development is going a little slow as it take days for the bruise from a 325 grain pill @ 2200 fps to heal.
Jaydee

·
Registered
339 Posts
I know what you mean, I put a 1.4" kickize ( somthing like that ) on mine and it helps a bunch. I also have a older one it's a 1971. I have no complaints after about 25 years
shooten one. As far as those Remington 240gr bullets I wish Big green would load up some real bullets for the 444 then maybe people would take it more seriously for bigger game.
...........................................................Marko

1 - 5 of 5 Posts