Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a T/C Encore with a 15" barrel chambered for the .444Marlin, and I am having a hard time finding reloading data for it. :confused:

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Being you have the Encore, I would just recommend to you to go for the rifle data listed in a multitude of handbooks.

My fav powder in this number is IMR 4198 with discontinued AA2200 a close second.

I have this round in the Contender and accordingly like to take it easy with it.

You should do fine with the rifle loads and the Encore. Start out with the 240's and if you are so inclined, move up in bullet weight. I like the 265-280gr, range myself.

Lastly, consider a 5 or 6 screw mount if you scope it. It'll be considerably more durable over the long haul.

Have Fun

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,223 Posts
Same data, more noise... does that about sum it up, Ray?

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Pretty Much Mike.:D

The Encore will more than likely take the full up rifle loads with the endurance factor included.

I actually meant to say a 5-6 screw mount with some angle irons welded to the barrel for added strength.:p

Regards

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.444Marlin

Thanks for the info. My current load is 50 grains of H322 with a 300 grain Hornady XTP. The best I can get out of it right now is 2.5-3" at 100yds. My barrel is a custom E.A. Brown .905" straight bull it is guranteed for 1" at 100yds. I'm still trying to work out the bugs.Anymore tricks?

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Hello Snuffy,

Hope you don't mind my jesting a bit.

Is your barrel braked? Is the forend floated? Have you taken steps to eliminate the human factor in your benchresting technigue as much as possible?

I won't call your shooting ability into question but will simply state from my own experience that fatigue will definately be a factor with this round in a handgun.

You could also experiment with bullet seating depth if your throat allows it and crimping amount. Also try a lighter bullet if you can. What is the barrel twist rate? Did you state what bullet weights you would be shooting to the barrel maker?

What power scope are you using? 3 rings or 4?

Just some random thoughts thrown out to you to get the wheels turning.

Regards

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.444Marlin

Hello Contender,

Thanks for the info.To answer your questions, no, the barrel is not ported,or braked.No it is not floated. I did my best to eliminate the human factor by bagging the **** out of it.I have a 6 screw 3 ring mount with a tasco trophy elite 2-6 x32 scope. I have tried diferent bullet seatings. The longer the better is what I have found out so far. The twist rate is 1in16.I have not tried any lighter bullets due to the fact that a lighter bullet at a high velocity my not handle the energy and cripple more animals than it will kill. I am going to try to tinker a little this weekend. I will let you know what I came up with. Thanks again.
Snuffy

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track at any rate. This cartridge cries out for a good cast bullet.

To me, a good weight would be in the 260-280 gr. range for a "do all" bullet. In jacketed, the 265 Hornady is a great bullet also especially on the heavier game.

It's possible they would stabilize a bit better than the 300. Not to say that is the problem you are having. Sometimes it's just worth trying a few different bullet weights.

Not sure what game you are after but if you used a cast bullet, you wouldn't really have to be concerned with bullet fragility or performance.

Check into some of Marshall's tech notes on cast bullets in the Marlin on game.

Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts