Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just had to post that I bought myself and early Christmas present. I had actually decided to buy a lever gun in .44 mag to go along with my Dan Wesson. I had looked into the .444's and really liked them. But I thought finding a .44 mag lever gun would be easier and cheaper.
I went into the local gun shop and there setting on the rack was a used .444 Marlin. I took it out to their range and ran two different rounds through it. The Rem. 240 grn and the Hornady 265grn. They didn't have any of the Leverlutions or otherwise I would have shot them too.
At 50 yds. in blowing snow, just using my arms as a bipod on the shooting bench, with iron sights and my limited shooting ability. I put all for rounds in a 4 inch circle with two touching. I was hooked!!!!
I just wanted to share this with people that would understand my excitement.
I'm going to get it today and I want to take a deer with it before the end of the season.
One question though, I'm a novice when it comes to peep sights. I have read articles about the XS Ghost ring and they sound like the ones I want to put on my new gun.
I went to there site, but I'm not sure what to order? They have three options for my gun. Should I get the side wings that go with the rear sight? Is there an advantage to these?
Any info would be helpful.

Thanks, Leinieman

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
As a 444 owner, I share your joy! Here are two of my 444's with XS Systems sights, rail, etc. You can call XS and their customer service folks can help you make the right choice for your needs.

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
My alternative Marlin setup is a green fiber front sight and williams guide rear. outstanding in every way.

Grizz

·
Registered
45 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS !!!! The .444 is a great rifle.

+1 what Flat Top says, XS makes great sights.

There is also Skinner Sights, they have a good following:
http://www.skinnersights.com/

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. if you haven't already, get acquainted here. Good folks and tons of info about everything Marlin:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/board,52.0.html

p.p.s. don't know if you reload. I don't and get almost all my .444 Marlin ammo from these folks, great stuff, very accurate in my .444 .....
http://www.wisconsincartridge.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=30&idproduct=21

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flat Top, do you like the wings on your rear sight? What are the pros and cons of the wings? Just a little cold here today or otherwise I would have gone out and shot a box up. I'm really geeked about this gun! I took the shooting rail off it that came with it and I am going to put the screw plugs in tonight with some blue loctite. I would also like to do away with the cross bolt safety. I read the articles on how to do it with what came with the gun. But would rather buy the replacement one and save the original.
Now I have to get some brass, primers, powder and bullets. Because at 40 bucks a box I won't be able to shoot it very much!

Thanks, Leinieman

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
My alternative Marlin setup is a green fiber front sight and williams guide rear. outstanding in every way.

Grizz
The Williams WGRS receiver sights are the best peep for the money ever made. They have the lowest profile, are very solid when adjusted, they're compact, and the lightest weight of any.

Now, adjustments are not as easily made as my Lyman 66A's for example, but once made, they are rock solid. Fiber optic front sights were designed for eye's over 50. Best thing since sliced bread, or maybe even free beer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey TMan, I went to a couple websites looking for info on the WGRS. The reviews weren't really bad, the worst things they could say were that it didn't come with a front sight and that the windage was a pain to adjust.
I wonder why Williams doesn't sell the sights in a pair considering that all the reviews said they had to get a front site too.
I'm still leaning towards the XS sights. The only thing I don't like about them is that they look like they set too high.
Thanks for your input.

Leinieman

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Leinieman; The wings on the rear sight are there for the protection of the ghost ring. If you use the ghost ring sights properly you will not even notice the wings, or the ghost ring for that matter. All you do is bring the rifle up, and concentrate on your front sight and your target. The eye will center the front sight in the ghost ring automatically....once you get accustomed to it, it works very well...is very fast and accurate on game.

On the cross bolt safety.....once you get used to using it, it actually becomes a "plus". I have never removed mine, and find that it serves a good purpose while hunting. You can put the safety on to load and unload the gun. You can put the gun at half cock (the old safety method), with the cross bolt safety "on".... with insurance that the hammer will not fall, if the half cock notch would become worn, damaged, etc. You can always have the gun on half cock without having the safety on. You can carry the gun at full cock, with one in the chamber, and all you need do is depress the safety to the off position, and you are ready to shoot. I find that using the cross bolt safety under all of these conditions merits retaining it, and, I see no good reason to remove it, unless you want to be "traditional"....but, "traditional" is not as safe as the cross bolt safety....I choose to be safe, first and foremost, and "use" that safety to my best advantage!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input FlatTop. Yes it would be mostly for the "Traditional" reason to do away with the crossbolt safety.
Marshall I sent you a PM, but it said your box was full and would not accept anymore until you cleared some out.

Thanks, Leinieman

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love my 444, I set it up with the Ghost ring sights, they work good. I put a rubber O-ring on the safety, works great, no worries about a "Click".... I also went with the "Lever-Scout" set-up so I can mount Leupold in nice weather & goto Peeps in wet (I think that is why the Peeps are high, to clear the scout bases). Only change I would make is to get higher rings so I could mount a standard 3-9 for load testing as it would let the short eye relief scope slide back over the Peep. I don;t remember who made the precision rings, Cabelas has them & they do repeat 0 going on & off the gun. 44.4 grains Reloader 7 & 265 grain Hornady. Remarkable groups. Scrub the barrel clean. Fun gun & a crowd pleaser to shoot. XS nice peeps. Deer don't like it so much...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I put the XS sights on my 1895G and my 1894 44 Magnum. My premise was fairly simple: I wanted the 1895G set up for snapshooting and protection, even though we cleared the T-Rex's out of Florida a few generations ago, and the 1894 set up for hunting in thick stuff and snapshooting. That being said, the William's sights are also excellent sights, and I have one on my 1895CB after I didn't like a ladder or tang sight. My initial opinion of fiber-optic fronts was that they might be too fragile, but I later modified that position if a hood was employed. I've got a fiber-optic front sight on a Knight muzzleloader that came on it and it sure is bright and easy to see. It's my humble opinion that the beads on most levergun front sights are just too big to suit me and don't allow for precise enough aiming. I put a globe front on my 1895CB and love it, but it's a precision shooting sight, and not the best choice for hunting. The XS sights I have are a wee bit high, but that keeps you in a head-up position, which might not be all that bad from a visibility standpoint. The bottom line is you pay your money and you take your choice. The wings protect the ghost ring, like Flat Top said, and that's not a bad thing. If I was buying a new set today, I'd get the wings. One additional comment on the Williams sights...they can be used dual-purpose, of a sorts. If you unscrew the aperture and take it out, you can use it like a ghost ring, or screw the aperture back in for more precise shooting.

·
Registered
167 Posts
On the cross bolt safety.....once you get used to using it, it actually becomes a "plus". I have never removed mine, and find that it serves a good purpose while hunting. You can put the safety on to load and unload the gun. You can put the gun at half cock (the old safety method), with the cross bolt safety "on".... with insurance that the hammer will not fall, if the half cock notch would become worn, damaged, etc. You can always have the gun on half cock without having the safety on. You can carry the gun at full cock, with one in the chamber, and all you need do is depress the safety to the off position, and you are ready to shoot. I find that using the cross bolt safety under all of these conditions merits retaining it, and, I see no good reason to remove it, unless you want to be "traditional"....but, "traditional" is not as safe as the cross bolt safety....I choose to be safe, first and foremost, and "use" that safety to my best advantage!
I "Had" the crossbolt safty on my model 94 trapper, did I take it off, no I did not, the hammer hit it, forgot it was being used, my bad, and broke it, now I have half of it in the gun and the other half is some where out in the big wide open, not sure how well they hold up on the Marlins, but not so good on the Winnies.
Terry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is another question that I tried to search and never found the answer. I see on FlatTop's rifle with the ghost ring on it, that you took off the rear buckhorn sight. By looking at mine it looks like it is a dovetail. I can't tell by the pic, but is the dovetail filled in with something to give it a more finished look or is it just left open?
I was at another gun shop today and they had a .444 in the shorter 18" ported barrel. It was used, but looked in really good condition. They were asking 500 for it. I know I don't need another one right now. But I get on these kicks and it called out to me. I didn't ask them to take it down because I know I would have wanted that one too! LOL! These Big Bore lever guns sure are [email protected]

Leinieman

·
Registered
167 Posts
They make inserts for the dove tail that the sight came out of, I tried to find the link that I had, but I couldn't. Anyway I think if you do a search you can find them, some one will come and tell you what they are called.

I know what you mean about the big bore addiction, I have a Browning 1886 in 45-70, a Winchester 94 trapper in 45 Colt, and a Rossi 92 in 44 mag, and am looking for more, I have been thinking about maybe a Marlyn, or maybe another Browning 71, I would like to have that back, anyway good luck with every thing.
Terry

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
..............I make my own dovetail replacements. The one on the top is made for my Peashooter. I also have it set up for an XS systems scope rail. The filler is 7075 T6 aluminum. To remove it I use a plastic punch, then I can install the scope rail. When done, I can reinsert the dovetail, again with a plastic punch. The lower filler is on my 336 XLR. This dovetail filler will be permenant so, I made it from stainless Marlin barrel steel. It finishes off very nice, and is hardly noticable at normal veiwing distance.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your a lot more talented than I am! I need to find one that someone sells. I would mess it up if I tried to do that. Lol!

Leinieman

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Leinieman; Another trick with a material that is easy to work with: If you have a blued gun...just get a chunk of black plastic. Shape the plastic as best you can, and tap in on in to the dovetail. You can finish the plastic off, and it will look pretty nice. The plastic (because it "gives") will not stress the barrel at that point like metal could if it was fitted too tight (metal needs to be precisely fitted). Plastic is cheap and easy to work with, not as time consuming as metal, and if you mess up the first time, you can easily start all over again. When I started doing stuff like this, I used wood to practice with....making parts and hand fitting them is a skill that can be developed over time.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Here is another question that I tried to search and never found the answer. I see on FlatTop's rifle with the ghost ring on it, that you took off the rear buckhorn sight. By looking at mine it looks like it is a dovetail. I can't tell by the pic, but is the dovetail filled in with something to give it a more finished look or is it just left open?
I was at another gun shop today and they had a .444 in the shorter 18" ported barrel. It was used, but looked in really good condition. They were asking 500 for it. I know I don't need another one right now. But I get on these kicks and it called out to me. I didn't ask them to take it down because I know I would have wanted that one too! LOL! These Big Bore lever guns sure are [email protected]

Leinieman
They don't make that gun anymore.................so you might want to scoop it up before someone else does. I love mine - Marlin 444P Outfitter.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts