Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for some info on loading two or three ball loads in the 444. I've read about it a few years ago but don't remember where. Any info would be helpful . Thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts
*The few books I have that say anything about multi-ball loads just say to add up the weight of the 2 or 3 balls and use that as your bullet weight, rounded up to the next weight.

*EXAMPLE: 3 90Gr balls = 270Gr, use 300Gr loads from the manual.

Start low and work up, make sure all balls are seated touching each other so that they will not act like a plugged bore.

Michael Grace

* This load is not being recommended to you or anyone else. Use a reloading manual and start with the starting load, work up to the MAX load listed (that's what I do), never exceed the MAX.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gentlemen, with the internet there are to many different sources of reading material. I forget where I read stuff. I think it might of been in one of the older reloading manuals I have . Just cabin fever thinking. I guess I was more curious about performance even out of a 45-70 . What kind of yardage do you get good grouping till.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Have not tried it yet.
Going to try in my 44 Mag as soon as I get time.

Michael Grace

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried a 3 ball load 000 in my 6.5" 41 mag Blackhawk, using a Rem 410 wad with the superfluous petals trimmed. 16 gr H110 which is quite hot. Two balls hit close each time, the third missed the target. This was soft (pure) lead with some buffer. I think with hardened buckshot, it might group all three quite tightly.

Anyone else tried this in a rifled barrel? How about a 444 ... that should take 4 35 cal (000) balls in a plastic wad or 3 larger balls naked. In theory, the spin should make the balls stable and they should group very close. But in practice, how much spin is imparted, and how much flattening takes place? Interesting question for those who could use a buckshot load now and again in their 41, 44, or 444

1 - 6 of 6 Posts