Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started to load .444. Using RCBS dies. I need quite a bit of force, on lubed cases, during resizing, but the brass looks fine afterwards. Then, during expanding, I am getting a little bulge in the case wall about 5/8" from mouth, just like the lead ball on the expander die is too big. But the bullet will only go maybe 1/16" into the case, that's OK though. It seems to me that the die is resizing a little small. Is it OK to partially resize .444 cases if they will only be used in the same gun? These will be used in my son's Marlin guide gun.

·
Registered
51 Posts
      Dear George,
  The bulge on the case is fine. As to resizing cases, stick to full length resizing for straight walled cases.

Have a good day,
                                                                    Walt

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
I haven't encountered diffucult sizing with the .444.   What you describe is very normal, except for the stiffness in sizing the brass.

What are you using for case lube?  I use Hornady One Shot and have no problems.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
51 Posts
       Dear George,
         I've noticed that nickel plated brass is harder to resize than regular brass. Hope this helps.

Walt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind replies! I am using Hoppe's spray resize lube. I put it on, size and deprime, then wash it off with hot detergent water. I definately notice more force being needed with the .444 than my usual 45/70 cases. Also, I never noticed the small bulge with the 45/70 cases. This factory ammo .444 brass is being reloaded for the first time, and is not nickle plated. Sounds like I don't have a real problem. Haven't fired any of them yet due to the weather in PA, but got a beta chrony for Christmas, so it won't be long before I get out there.

Thanks again, George

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bill, I live pretty far away, near Reading. I shoot (and reload) mostly .223 and 45/70. Just starting on .444. Also just starting to investigate cast bullets.

George

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
George,

I know the Reading area relatively well. My brother and I
have passed through on the way back home from the Indy Car race in Nazareth. Reading has the factory outlet complex in an old steel mill or some such, right?

I too cut my bigbore teeth on the .45-70, a Marlin 1895S. That's been gone for a few years and until I picked up my Outfitter I had nothing larger than an '06.
I'm glad to have it now. I think it will do a great job for you with Marshall's cast bullets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts