Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, new to this forum, I have an older 444 marlin i believe was custom made for someone. This thing has a stock that is way longer than a normal L.O.P stock, very nice walnut straight grip with a golden colored wood diamond in right side of stock, it has a 20 inch barrel and a very wide forend. Now what i am looking for is a synthetic stock for it because i dont want to cut the stock it wears now, amy ideas where to find one????/ Also considering a 4570 guide gun in the future if i cant modify this gun, could it be rechambered or rebarreled????? Has anyone dealt with Wild West Guns? THANKS FOR ANY INFO YOU CAN GIVE ..... Ray P.S. the 444 has a micro groove barrel and i dont handload any info on ammo besides the usuall run of the mill that would help this gun out, is there anyone online that custom loads for the public????/

·
Registered
83 Posts
444 stock

sorry to tell u but i wanted the same. only route is wild west guns in alaska. they charge around 450-500 for one custom made. just have a smith cut stock to fit with a limb saver pad. ull be glad its on it

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Welcome to ShootersForum, BloodGroove!

The synthetic stock makers have largely ignored the lever-action crowd. Personally, I would work with a local gunsmith on what could be done to shorten your stock...it might not be as bad as you think.

On the reloading question: If you look around enough, you'll find some custom reloading companies (there is one in Wisconsin, I believe) but you will pay a handsome fee for each box. In fact, for the premium you'll pay, it would be cheaper, and far more rewarding, to learn the basics of reloading yourself. One of the reasons there aren't many custom reloaders is because it's not a difficult or expensive hobby to get into and a lot of folks come to enjoy it just as much as shooting or hunting!

Best of luck.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
I agree with what's been said thus far about simply having a competent gunsmith alter the stock that's on the rifle now. It doesn't sound like a "stock" stock anyway and you're certainly not altering the gun's value, IMO. Now as far as rechambering a .444 to 45-70, I can't really see a big reason for that, owning both rifles myself. The .444 has always seemed to be the red-headed-stepchild of the big bore crowd, but I can assure you it's not at all deserved. Properly loaded, the .444 is a very useful and powerful round. The LeverEvolution 265gr load for the .444 Marlin has more energy at the muzzle and at 200 yards than the 325gr LE load for the 45-70. Shoots flatter too!

My experience with the MG barrel and LE ammo has shown it to be very accurate in my MG rifle. Some are, some ain't. Try yours and see. If the LE load with nearly 3200 FPE at the muzzle is not to your liking then the 240 factory load or one of these heavier loads might be better for you/your rifle. There are pricey options from Grizzly Ammo & Buffalo Bore for the .444, but unless you are facing a Grizzly bear at dart throwing ranges, I'd say you likely do not need them. Here are a couple of places/loads that might interest you.

PG 10 in this on-line catalogue has the .444 loads:
http://www.thehuntingshack.com/catalog/retail/Retail.pdf

another 240gr loading:
http://www.wisconsincartridge.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=30&idproduct=21

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I bedded an MPI Kevlar/Graphite stock on my custom 444. MPI makes fiberglass (a bit heavier) stocks for all Marlins as well. Check them out!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Nope, you'll need a new lever loop at the least. Likely a trigger plate as well. Sorry.:(

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can get that Ramline stock, remove the cap from the pistol grip and look down inside it. Pistol grip is hollow with straight section of stock enclosing it. Grind pistol grip off on belt sander till straight lever closes. Done that on one of the 1894s. The plane of the bottom of the stock is higher than if it were originaly a straight stock, so you're left with a little hump or ramp, but it will be on there. I'll try to get picture of mine on here in a while.

been a while since i posted a picture. this thing is wanting a url for my picture ?

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts