Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question to the forum. I have a 1894 marlin in 44mag 20 in barrel. A great shooter accurate shooter. I handled a GG yesterday. This was a mistake I think I'm in love. O.K. here's the question, is there a real advantage for the 44mag over the 444. In my mind the 444 has all the cards. I'd like a all purpose rifle for close range deer/bear. Thats why I picked up the 94.

The weight and handling are very close on these two guns.

44mag pros: holds lots of bullets, cheaper bullets, revolvers to match ????????

444 pros: can load big bullets, load up/down power, longer range ??????

Any other advantage in keeping the 44mag? The 444GG seems to be more versitile.

Thanks

norville

·
Registered
220 Posts
Norville,
You've answered your own question. It's a great shooter ! Keep it ! The only other advantage the 1894 has over the the .444G, is that it is a lighter, more compact package. The 1894 is perfect for hunting in the thick stuff, then again, the .444G isn't too shabby either. Marlin makes some wonderful guns for us to commiserate over.
Jeff

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Until recently I owned a very accurate 444P Outfitter and liked it a great deal except for the muzzle ports. I found them to be quite distracting if not downright potentially dangerous to other shooters on the firing line. Nevertheless, I think it's a terrific and powerful carbine.

Too powerful in fact for the hunting you describe, in my opinion. I think the 444 is better suited to bigger bear, elk, and moose. It is that potent. I believe you are well-armed with your existing .44 Magnum carbine for any deer or black bear that walks. Heck, you're not undergunned for a lot of even bigger game within 100 yards.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill , I agree with you on the ports. I have the scars to prove it. Thank God I was wearing eye protection when my buddy started shooting. Ouch!. It is only now that I'm seeing GG's with no ports. which got me thinking.

thanks

norville

·
Registered
339 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your 44Mag it will do what you want it to do. The 1894 carries better in the thick stuff for me and will put down deer as good as anything out there with in it's range. I also use the 444 in the older Marlin and the Winchester Traditional 94 and so far the 1894 in 44Mag works as well as the 444 in the type of cover I hunt. Now I Handload and tend to use a Heavy Bullet ether Hard Cast or jacketed. I feel the the node goes to the 1894 because of it's pointability, better trigger, lighter weight, lighter recoil, the Winchester is also light and handy but the trigger could be much better and it can kick. If you don't Handload there are more choices over the counter for the 44Mag. You can not lose with ether Caliber................................Marko

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 44 lever action from marlin and matched it with a redhawk and super blackhawk, both in 44 mag. It is nice to have this round coming out of 3 very different firearms.

As for the bigger stuff, marlin talk is a website but I forget the link. The have a big bore section for a forum. A search on 444 and marlin 450 and 45-70 will turn up a lot.

Your choice depends partly on what you are planning, if you don't reload, the 450 marlin seems pretty good. If you want to use 44 magnum bullets the 444 works well. If you handload the 45-70 seems to keep up awful well.

Some of this depends on what you want for round count and rifle type. I think there is a really long barrel octagonal barrel 45-70, holds 6 or more rounds in the tube I think. Maybe up to 8 in the tube and one chambered.

Now in ohio, this round is absolute overkill as deer hunting uses a shotgun and slugs, my current favorite big bore by the way. :)

But the bigger kick, bigger bullet, and more destruction to reactive targets is calling my name.

I am all done with the need area. Want seems to keep my wallet empty.

But marlin talk is an excellant place to research stuff. Heck, one guy took a 45-70 to africe for some serious useage of that round. :D

I am just trying to be ready when the circus lets the elephants out on a rampage in my little town.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts