Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I don't know if there is any difference in the actions. Marlins are generally considered stronger but that may be subjective.

Stick with the listed loads in the manuals and have fun....safely.

·
Registered
204 Posts
How much more dead than dead?

I agree with Bigfoot. I doubt any game animal would know the difference between the standard loads or those that are seriously pushing the envelope. And, I don't think I've ever heard anybody accuse the .444 Marlin of being under powered for North American big game.

Just my 2 cents.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
The trouble with the theory that the gun will go to a certain pressure level (which is higher than the published loads) is that where do you find pressure-tested load data?

I encourage you to exercise considerable caution if you want to exceed published loads (loads published by powder & bullet companies, not just stuff you find on the Internet!). No disrespect to Paco.... but he alone is responsible for his fingers, eyes, etc., and you are responsible for yours!

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
MikeG has a very good point. I will say this though. In my .444 Winchester Timber carbine some maximum published loads show just the first sign of sticky extraction. These would not be good hunting loads if a repeat shot were needed at a running animal.
While working with two .30-30 Ackley Improved rifles we have noted that the Winhester M-94AE will stand just a slightly higher pressure with less pressure ring expansion and no sign of sticky extraction. These are from the same loads shot at the same time in both rifles.
I think it is because the Marlin 336 uses a notch in the sliding bolt for the locking bolt and the Winchester M-94 has the rear of the sliding bolt fully covered by the locking bolt. This would be a very small point. With the .30-30AI we have settled on a pressure ring expansion of .002" over the case expansion in the standard .30-30 chamber. Within this limit there is no difference between the Marlin and the Winchester.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replys just been looking around for a good load to take into se alaska brown bear country this fall. Sure looks like a lot of choices out there any suggestions

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have a Win Timber carbine and shoot the Lee 310gr FNGC. They have to be seated a little deeper than the crimp groove but this is not a problem with a Lee crimp die. The wide meplat on the bullet driven to a decent speed,1600 - 1800 fps, penetrates like crazy. I haven't had a chance to use it on game but intend to try it on some wild boars soon.

A good gun and cartridge however you look at it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
94BB Vs. Marlin

In regards to the question of which is dtronger, the 94BB or the Marlin, the Winchester is the stronger gun. The Winchester is a beefed up 94 and was made to handle the pressures of the 307,356 and 375 Winchester. All of which have a SAAMI max. pressure of 52,000 CUP. The 444 Marlin has a SAAMI max. of 44,000 CUP. I agree that there is no pressure tested data for 52,000 CUP 444 loads. You would be in somewhat uncharted territory.

Garth

·
Registered
238 Posts
You all bring up good points for both rifles but the real problem with this discussion is that Winchester doesn't make the Timber carbine anymore where Marlin still offers the .444. :D Seriously though I believe Buffalo Bore offers a load which will kill at both ends when you touch it off but is still under the SAAMI spec's. The Winchester is the stronger action but I don't see the need to test the max. Like Mike said we're all responsible for our fingers and eyes. CEJ..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts