Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2 444P Marlin rifles and am trying out loads. Is there a common load that works well in these? Faster twist 18 inch ported barrel. Looking for a good place to start. Seems to like heavier boolits between 295 gr to 325 grain boolits so far. Want a max load, and a deer load. I may have one for sale for the right offer. Trade plus cash or cash. Thanks I live in NE Florida BTW.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you sure that's a 1:18” twist? Ive heard of the 1:32 Microgroove and the 1:20 ballard. It will say on the left side of the barrel.
The folks on another forum swear by the 265 grain interlock. Bullet from Hornaday. And i have to agree, it's accurate and effective
I've had moderate success with a 240 grain bullet out to. 100 yards, they were flat shooters but accuracy declined after 100 yards.
I've read about success with a 300 grain hard cast and hollow point but haven't tried them myself

·
Registered
17 Posts
The 265 grain Hornady is the only bullet you will ever need. I've used it extensively on game up to moose / bears. If you want to go heavier and are a bullet caster try the Lee mold. Mine drops a 300 grain bullet, I size to .432 and it is my favourite 444 bullet. I've used it extensively as well, and it will flatten a grizzly. If you buy cast, be sure to get them sized to .432 . Wish I was closer I would buy the gun you are selling.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
The 265 Hornady and H4198 make for a good pairing in my 444P and M94. I can't see going heavier for deer unless you just want to use good quality cast bullets. The full power loads with the 265's will have your attention. Hodgdon says 47 grains is max in a RP case, I've had no desire to go beyond that.

I've done some work with heavier Beartooth Bullets based on the tech notes articles, some of that stuff will straight up rattle your teeth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve had great luck with the Hornady superformance 265gr. I have 5 444p’s, so I do like them. I’m also in NE Florida.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I shoot the Hornady 265's but my favorite are the Buffalo Bore 335 gr hard cast which will get the attention of anything in North America.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
my favorite rifle is a tc encore in a 23" MGM barrel in 444 marlin. it's stocked by a saphyre laminate by high plains gunstocks( HIGH PLAINS GUNSTOCKS - Encore and Contender stocks and pistol grips and Winchester model 12 stocks ). i have shot the 265gr hornady fp and 200gr hornady xtp and they were under a 1" at 100 yards(5 shots/bench). i also have used 220gr wc, 250gr penta hp, 255gr keith, 275gr ranch dog, 280gr lfn/wfn gc and 300gr fn gc(saeco). every boolit was under a 1" at 100 yards(5 shots/bench). i used h4198, rel7, trail boss, unique and 2400.

the one load i use for deer/black bear is a 300gr fn gc with 24.0gr of 2400/tuft of dacron. it goes 1624fps avg. its just an angel's kiss on my shoulder but the 300gr does kill out to 150 yards. in the area i hunt, 50 or so yards is about it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
you should try a 455gr SG(safari grade) boolit in your 444.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Winny,

If you haven't already, read Marshall's three articles on the Marlin 444. A lot of great information on hand loading for the triple four.

My favorite loads for my triple fours are the BTB 290gr. and 330 gr. sized at .432" and pushed with STOUT charges of H335.

Dan

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
That's a new one on me...where can I find some for 430 cal?...Jacketed or cast...that bullet would be a bit long either way for a standard length 444 M case I'm guessing.

I do shoot 300-535 gr in the 45 cal barrel and heavier in some of my other 45 cals. There is always a point where you run into diminishing returns and other problems as bullet weights go up per caliber and per rifle...arguably.

Luck.

EDIT:

I did find the bullet you referred to...Not sure how that would work in my supposedly 1-38 Microgroove barrel...its WAY too slow. Not sure just how accurate the 405 will be, that needs a faster twist also. Long bullets need faster twists and a bullet in the 1.3-1.4 plus length range would need a something like a 1-20 for best accuracy, although a hunk of lead that big wouldn't have a problem going in sideways.

I can't get to my reloading shack for a while due to the snow/rain mush/slush but I have it on my todo list to slug both the 444 M and 458 barrel before getting too deep in these projects. Marlin futzed around with barrel twists back then so I'll just have to see and revise my bullet plans accordingly.

the 1 in 38" will probably be inaccurate when you go to 400gr. i "think" the accuracy is about 350+/-gr, i think. the 1 in 20" won't have that problem.

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/444-marlin/
the guys name is flat top and he is the 444 man!!!! mt sourdough was the #1 guy, you should see his posts.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
anymore, accuracy to me is 2 - 3" at 150 yards, maybe 4". thats good enuff for a deer lungs. i used to be one of those sub minute guys. i would trade, sell and cheat;) on a gun that wouldn't be sub minute. brass weights, trim to, primer shuffle, powders galore, bullet weight and type....you name it, i probably have done it.......twicet:D. i use a tc encore with 23" MGM barrel in 20 vartarg. a 32gr varmageddon and rel7 will take me .2 - .3" at 100 yards(5 shots/bench) and that is with "sloppy" loads. .1 - .2" at 100 yards is with "prim n proper" loads.

now its cast boolits fer me. hs-6, 2400, unique are the powders i go to. i use rel7, h4198 and 4895 as my secondary. 1930fps (5 shot avg/30-40 krag/165gr ranch dog) is about as fast as i go. 850+/-fps(250gr penta hp/44 spl) is about as slow as i go.

i've done some ackley improved(22-250,30-30...) but i will pass at an AI chamber. the 35-30/30 (win m94/1 in 15") will be my last wildcat. a 250-260gr fn gc that goes around 1600fps+/- is what i'm shooting for.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Thanks, Dan...I have those articles and also some from Bill McConnell and Glen Fryxell.

What did your groups and velo look like with the 330 gr bullet??? My notes say unstable but those groups were at low velos and I hadn't began to work them up....TOO MANY TOYS and too antsy at times.

If you notice, the groups got bigger as the velocity went down in BB III which is about what I expected. That bullet needs about ≈2300 fs to be optimum at 1-38. I like both those bullets!!!!

My QL doesn't like this cartridge AT ALL...lots of very screwy WRONG results, but QL was like that from the git go. I haven't trusted it since almost the beginning.

My Trip 4 has been on the back burner for several years as far as experimenting goes...just load up Horn 265 FP/RN's with RL7 and called it good...accuracy ran 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 scoped which filled the bill. I'm starting on the wildcatting projects as soon as the reamer gets here and I can get into the snow away from the garage door

Thanks
All of my 444's are 1-20" twist. With the BTB .432"-330gr, I push them HARD with H335. Since there isn't any official published data, I don't want to offer my charge data here. I don't want to have someone potentially getting hurt. I just used Marshall's information, backed down by 10% and worked up from there. I'm getting 1.25" five-shot groups at 100 yards shooting off a SteadyRest. Guns are scoped with 3x9 Zeiss'.

Dan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,122 Posts
the 1 in 38" will probably be inaccurate when you go to 400gr. i "think" the accuracy is about 350+/-gr, i think. the 1 in 20" won't have that problem.

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/444-marlin/
the guys name is flat top and he is the 444 man!!!! mt sourdough was the #1 guy, you should see his posts.

It won't be "inaccurate," it will be heading to the berm, sideways, and you might hear it whistling downrange. :eek: 1-38" twist runs out of steam somewhere in the 325-335gr. range, with fairly blunt cast bullets. Some Marlins will stabilize the 335gr. Beartooth; mine won't without 0.050" off the bullet nose (making it a 325.gr.).

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
It won't be "inaccurate," it will be heading to the berm, sideways, and you might hear it whistling downrange. :eek: 1-38" twist runs out of steam somewhere in the 325-335gr. range, with fairly blunt cast bullets. Some Marlins will stabilize the 335gr. Beartooth; mine won't without 0.050" off the bullet nose (making it a 325.gr.).
:D

i don't have a 1 in 38" or a marlin. a bunch of guys on the marlin forum say that the 1 in 38" will take 350gr ranch dog. "speed is your friend" according to a guy that goes on the 444 marlin forum. that is not for me, i like my boolits to go slow and a 1 in 20" is right up my alley. a 300gr saeco with 2400 and a tuft of dacron goes 1624fps. thats plenty good enuff for deer/black bear and my shoulder!!!

i have shot the 265gr hornady fn over rel7 and h4198 and at about 2300+/-fps in my tc encore and boy does it hurt!!!! i could shoot 5 or 6 of them, but my shoulder screams at me!!!

·
Registered
802 Posts

I haven't tried the 335gr. The BTB 330gr LFN DCG GC stabilizes just fine in my 1-20".

Dan

·
36,122 Posts
Right, you need the 1-20" twist for the stuff much over 335gr. And mine wouldn't even do the 335s, though I admit to not standing on the throttle.

·
36,122 Posts
The plastic tips, or hollow points, don't seem to affect the twist rate requirement as much as if the bullet was solid lead or copper all the way to the tip. Increasing velocity should, in theory, lessen the twist requirement, but it also adds drag. So it isn't a clear-cut thing, necessarily. It may well depend on how perfectly aligned the bullet is when it clears the crown. Make no mistake, I wasn't cutting the bullet noses back due to accuracy issues. There were slightly oblong bullet holes in the target before I did that. The 335s were clearly on the ragged edge of stability, in my gun, with my loads. Button rifled barrels can vary a bit in what the twist rate actually ends up being, so every 1-38" barrel isn't necessarily exactly 1-38." Mine might well be on the 'slow' side of the tolerance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Marshalls articles on the 444

Winny,

If you haven't already, read Marshall's three articles on the Marlin 444. A lot of great information on hand loading for the triple four.

My favorite loads for my triple fours are the BTB 290gr. and 330 gr. sized at .432" and pushed with STOUT charges of H335.

Dan
I can't seem to find Marshall's articles with the pictures anywhere. I have the text only version. I saw where there was supposed to be a Part IV but have yet to find that one. Every time I go to BTB and look for it the database is down or so it says.. Do you have the complete articles?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts