Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a  MARLIN 444P OUTFITTER and have a question?which one is the proper bullet to use?some people tell me the 444 MARLIN some say the 44 MAG.I dont whant to put the wrong bullet and blow my hands off,im just wondering because theres a big differens in the bullet size.

·
Registered
8 Posts
stay with what the 444 was made to shoot, which is the 444 shell .  So go out and have some fun with that 444 you will love it.    

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
RUBEN,

44 Mags have been shot in the 444 but it is not recommended. Typically, the 44 case bulges to the point it is useless for reloading again. Sometimes a case will rupture. Plus, with such a long run to the rifling, accuracy can be quite disappointing.

Take willow's advice and stick with the cartridges made for the gun. Plenty of enjoyment is to be had just doing that.

Have fun and be safe!

Regards,

:cool:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hey Guys,

The bore diameter for the .444 Marlin, and the .44 Mag are the same .429"  so the .44 Mag bullets can be used in the .444, but not the .44 cartridges.......unless you feel a death wish coming on.  

Anyway,  choose the bullet you need for the shooting you're going to do.

El Lobo in NM

·
Registered
30 Posts
HI, now guys the moderator of this board and the maker of beartooth bullets " Marshal Stanton" himself says this is ok .
  I would like everyone interested in this subject to go over to page 5 and look under "444 questions" and then make up your mind.
  I personally have done this and no problems and I believe that Marshal Stanton to be a man with knowledge and integrity and I do not believe he would offer such a view or statement that might be harmfull.
  I repeat ,go read the reply I got from him and then make up your own mind.
    Have a good day , Craig

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Yes, he said it could be done, but urged that it be done only in rare circumstances.

By the way, a .44-40 will seal the chamber much better as the head of the cartridge is larger than a .44 mag, if you want a sub-load for the gun.

If shooting either of these cartridges through a .444 chamber, be sure to clean the chamber thoroughly afterwards as some lead, fouling, crud, etc., might build up ahead of the smaller case mouth.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Personal experience with doing this not withstanding, the firearm in question is chambered for the 444 Marlin cartridge.

The decision to chamber/fire 44 magnum ammunition in a 444 Marlin rifle is a personal one.

If you are in doubt about this, contact the gun's manufacturer about it and let their answer be your guide.

There are plenty of ways to load this cartridge/rifle up or down for the purposes at hand in it's intended form without the need to tempt Darwin.

Best regards and have fun,

:cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
HI , I suppose we all read what we want to into a subject but I took it to mean it was pefectly safe.
     I do think that if a person wants a 44 mag rifle that is what they should get .
   I do think that if a peson wants a 444 Marlin that is what they should get .
BUT I did not read that it was dangerous in any form or fashion other than cases cannot be reloaded and not to use a round like the Blaser.

Have a good day , Craig

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the information it has help.
                          Ruben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts