Shooters Forum banner

445 Supermag ??

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  petemi 
#1 ·
A buddy just piked up a Dan Wesson 445 Supermag and we are finding brass almost non existent. (good thing he can shoot 44 Mags thru it :D) Is the 445 its own cartridge or can another round be trimmed down and sized to work??

Thanks,

Jeff

#2 · (Edited)
The .445 Supermag is its own dog....a lenghthened .44 Magnum, really. You can shoot .44 Mags and .44 specials out of them, I do believe. The .444 Marlin (obviously longer) is close. But the rim is just a whisker wider and thicker.

Starline makes new production brass and, for one, Midway's got it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=941109164

#3 · (Edited)
I looked on Midway and it said out of stock. Plus , Midway is getting a little big for their britches!! I looked at a variety of different Starline brass from Midway and there wasn't a single product I could get cheaper than going right to Starline. Midway has slowly been losing my business over the last few years. It's pretty bad when I can get a lot of things cheaper from Cabela's too!!

Starline was also out with no date expected when it would be available again.

Reeds Ammo does have some loaded stuff for him to try for starters...should be a **** of a whitetail thumper!!

#4 ·
I bought 200 445SM cases from Blue Star Cartridge & Brass, out of Searcy, AR.

http://www.bluestarbrass.com/catalog/

There website is very basic, which made me a little nervous when I filled out their form, but the cases arrived in perfect shape and have worked perfectly for the 358GNR wildcat I'm shooting. They even threw a few extra in on my order. :)

#5 · (Edited)
The .445 SuperMag can be made from either the .30-40 Krag or the .303 British. It cannot be made from the .444 Marlin. As a last resort, the .445 SM can also be made from the .35 Remington, but extraction will be problematic with no rim, (the extractor clips for the M460 might be adapted), and maximum pressures should be avoided.

#10 ·
Neck sizing 445supermag

Since in my target guns I neck size rifle cases, thought I'd do it in my 20" TC barrel. I use Lee dies with an extra long adjustable length primer punch . Lee uses a squeeze or collet clamp not threads to adjust length. The projection for my use is 1.328" below die bottom in a carbide sizing die. I use llosso to clean cases instead, 18 seconds vs hrs. of tumbling.- Neck sizing allows expanded from firing cases to point more accurately down the center of the bore. Overall length of punch is 4". Don't remember what ctg. I ordered punch from. I don't see a place to submit die picture. Email me if you want pic. Hope this helps

#11 ·
My .445 is a .44 Mag Handi Rifle rechambered to .445 and cut to 16.5 inches. The first brass I found was made from .30-40 Krag and worked fine. I since found Starlne available and stocked up. I love the caliber. I call it "My .45-70 Short"

I load a custom 240 gr. SJFP over 36.0 gr. H110 with a large magnum rifle primer for 2172 fps. I would not shoot this load in a hand gun!!!

At 100 yards it is running 1764 fps with 1658 ft.-lb. 1418 and 1071 at 200.

I found 1000 Large rifle primers during the "Great Shortage" and put them to work.

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.