Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Marlin 1894P and a Redhawk cut to 4", both in 44mag. I want to find an effective black bear defense load that will shoot accurately in both guns. I had hoped to use a 300gr WFNGC with W296, but the 94P wouldn't feed it. I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.  I'll go ahead and do a search too. Thanks.  adk

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,915 Posts
Try the 280gr. WFNGC.  It loads to a fairly standard OAL of about 1.610" or so and should feed.  Load data - work up from about 20 gr. WW296/H110 to around 22-22.5.  Use Win or CCI 350 primers.  Yields ~1350fps in my 7.5" Super Blackhawk.

There are also articles on modifying the Marlins so they will feed longer rounds.  If you've found a dandy 300gr. load then this might be the way to go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike -- Thanks for the information.  I ordered 100 of the 280's for a first go at it with W296.  Appreciate it.  adk

·
Registered
240 Posts
ADK -

The 1894P should feed the 300g 44mag WFNGC perfectly if you crimp to the groove. It's well within the SAAMI spec for case length. In fact, it's my 1894's favorite load.

Where does it hang up?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Jack.  I used the Cast Performance Co. 300gr WFNGC bullet.  It is the bullet used in the Federal CastCore round.  I also tried the CastCore itself. The length is 1.590, which is .020 under the max OAL given by Ruger for the 94P.  The hangup is at the top of the bullet where the flat nose meets the radius.  That point hits the top corner of the entrance to the chamber. I can make it feed if I rattle the gun around while I close the action - but it always hangs up when I cycle the action normally or slow.  Maybe I should try a different 300 WFNGC.  Something a bit longer, tapering to a bit less flat?   I appreciate your input on this problem.  adk

·
Banned
8 Posts
I had a problem with feeding WFN bullest in my Marlin Cowboy 44mag also.  The 250 LFN feeds perfectly.  The 290 LFN looks like the same nose and should also work OK.  I use the LBT 320 LWFNGC for my heavy bullet load in the rifle and a  Super Blackhawk.  This bullet looks like a big wadcutter sticking out of the case and you would never think it would never feed in the rifle.  It feeds perfectly but it has to have just the right OAL.  My guess is that it fills up the whole feeding area and feeds because it has no other place to go.  WW296 is my choice of powder.   I load it to about 1200 fps in the pistol which is about 1500 in the rifle.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi Bob / ADK:

The Cast Performance 300g WFNGC (sized to .432) is the cast bullet I use since I'm still waiting for my Beartooth order. My cases are Starline, Federal (nickle) and Speer (nickle). I'll go MIC my loads again but I've never had the hangs that you guys are describing in my Marlin when the cases are heavy crimped at the groove.

My 1894 is a 16" Micro-Groove (non-ported) .44 mag called "The Limited." I think the action dimensions are all identical.

·
Banned
2,429 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but we covered this feeding problem on the 1894 series one other time. While it's true that the lifter needs to be lengthen on the back of the lifter at the cartridge stop, the main problem is the meplat hitting the rear of the chamber as it tries to feed. Marlin and I have been discussing this problem. We find that there is also some feed problems with bullets that have the Keith type front band above the crimp grooves. With the lifters Marlin sent we have be doing various modifications to see which is bst. It all boils down to either a higher rear in the lifter that would pick up the base more or lowering the "V" on the front of the lifter to let the nose of the cartridge down. The later works in most case and is easier to do. Pull the lifter and use a Dremel with the sanding disk. You can find use the radius on the disk. Convert the "V" to a round half circle no deeper than the bottom of the "V" and not wider than the edges of the "V". The place where the ogive of the bullet hits inside of the chamber is very important. BTB bullets that feed VERY good after the modification are the 250 LFN GC and the 265 FN GC. With a little work on the back of the lifter to allow the OAL to clear...the 300 gr LFN GC works good.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
James -- Thanks. I understand what you said about how to rework the part and will take a look to see if I think I can do it.  adk

·
Banned
2,429 Posts
By all means do the modification, it's quite easy. Remember you are looking for bullet alignment by changing the front off the "V" to round, thereby dropping the meplat to clear the back of the chamber.
Best Regards, James

1 - 10 of 10 Posts