Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has certainly be tried before, but never heard about. A cartrige using a necked down .44 mag case to fire .357 bullets shoud be a dandy in a .92win. actioned lever action like a puma, falling somewhere between a .357 mag and a .35 rem. powerwise, would it not? Any sugestio on which powders to use? Your opinions will be much apreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mundu amigo,

Sounds like a 357 Bain/Davis.  My Hornady manual shows a 160 grain slug at 2100 fps out of a 14" contender, using 24.9 gr of Win 296.  Out of a Rossi 92, this ought to be pure poison!  

Let us know how you come out, those feral goats and hogs had better watch out...

Jimmy

·
Registered
306 Posts
Guys, seems many years ago they had a wildcat they called the Dreadnot(sp) a shop outside of Long Beach Ca, use to convert rugers to this cal. Was suppose to be one hot item in a six gun, it just never really caught on. Some place in my piles of papers I have the loading data for it, will see ifin I can find it next week after I get back from fishing (taking a week to relax). Seems it is the same gun your talking about made by Bain & Davis. Seems the orig shop was in Downey ca. at Los Tunas and Rosecrans, used to travel that every weekend to see my girlfriend when I was stationed in Long Beach, was always in to big of a hurry to stop there.

Gun Runner

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
I've often thought of the same treatment but with a 445 Super case instead.

This would be a fascinating round, sort of a "modern" version of the 357 Herrett or 35 Rem. No real custom dies would be needed, just use the B&D dies to partially size the case and then a carbide 44 Mag die to size the lower part of the case as needed. You'd just need to set the B&D die for correct shoulder placement when forming new cases.

Might have length/feeding limitations in a levergun but think they could be worked out. Simply run a B&D reamer in deeper for rechambering as needed.(Provided it's one without the rim counterbore)

You would also maintain basically the full capacity of a 44 Mag case by using the Super case as the necked portion would be beyond that length roughly.

Regards

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, gentlemen! Facts are I have 2 .357 mag Rossis that shoot like twins with their prefered loads, that are quite different notwithstanding their serial numbers are B xxxx92 and B xxxx95, bought at the same store in the same day by a buddy and myself. (Later he sold me his carbine )
  While some folks suggested buying a .35 rem.
I want to keep the handiness dof the little Rossi with a little more power.
  Jimmy, I will tell about hunting with it, first hand!
  luck and health

1 - 5 of 5 Posts