Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot a load Sat. that I thought worked out pretty well. It was 22gr.  IMR4227 in a starline case with a WLP std/mag primer. The bullet is my present favorite (since I'm not shooting lead yet) the 220 gr. FPJ Sierra. It shot a good group at 25 yds with my SBH with no powder residue in the barrel. The 1894 shot as good laying down a 2 inch group at 100 yds with iron sights no less. The problem is it left unburned powder in the barrel.

I realize going to the CCI magmun pistol primer is an option and working the load back up to power but the thing is shooting so well. I don't have a chrony yet so backing down on the powder and staying with the WLP will not be easy.

Is this just a characteristic of this powder or should I strive to get all the powder to burn in the rifle as well as the pistol? And does it make since that the load is burning in the 5.5 inch pistol barrel and not the 20 inch 1894 barrel. The max load listed in an old Hodgdon manual I have is 23 gr of IMR4227 for the 44 mag. The Hornady 4th lists a bit higher. I hate to start over, I was so happy with this load I was going on up a tad on the next loading and stop if things still did well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It sounds as if the powder may have been blowed clear of the short pistol barrel. Mag primers would be in order for IMR powders or go to 2400 or h110 as they are truly the friendliest powders for the 44Mag. I avoid the IMR's and their clones in any straight case be it handgun or rifle. The Alliant powders and Hodgdon's usually outshine the other's performance. It's your decision, but if you feel as I do unburnt powder is a waste. No matter how good the load I work that problem out. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Ken Waters did an interesting article in Handloader/Rifle on working up a combo load for the handgun and rifle. It was later published in his PET LOAD Book. I like Ken's approach, using one of the critera "Controlibility". During last summer and fall we have tested most of the complete line of Beartooth .44 cal bullets along with Hornady XTP jacketed bullets. We found the exact results Ken did with WW296/H110. The powder(s) covered a broaden range than any other.
Taking everything into consideration it seems that a medium weight bullet load giving 1200/1300 fps in the handgun would give 1500/1600 fps in the rifle (a little less in the 16 1/2" barrels)was the best all around load. There were some great higher velocity loads\heavy bullet loads in the rifle, but were wrist breakers in the handgun. To get really comfortable loads in both (and high velocity) the bullet weight needed to be dropped to 240/250 gr down.
So.....I forgot the idea to have a combo load. I have settled on a heavy bullet weight in the 1894P and a lighter weight in the SBH.
For those who still want a combo load, I highly suggested looking over Ken Waters work.
Best Regards, James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts