Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winchester '94 in .44 Rem mag . My brother has a Henry ,Big bore in .44Mag ,but also
indicates .44special and I see that the Marlin'94 is in .44Mag and .44special. I did some research
on the two cartridges and see no reason that both wouldn't work in my Winchester'94.
Does anybody have any comments on this?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I use the Special in my 44 mag 1894. It may or may not feed in yours. Depends on the bullet shape and if the rifle likes it. Good practice round with low recoil.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Jeff,

First and foremost, welcome to the Forum. Rules are simple: Be nice and join in!

JBledsoe's comment notwithstanding, we try to be a friendly and helpful bunch. If you come back at all, after such a brusque reply, you will have the opportunity to learn just about anything you would ever want to know about guns, from this site. The gentlemen here (ahem) are very knowledgeable and the atmosphere is usually light.

To your question: As a rule, any gun chambered for 44 Magnum can shoot 44 Special cartridges. As Ironhead pointed out, you may experience feed problems with your particular action, but generally speaking, that doesn't usually happen. If it does, you can always single feed 44 Special rounds into the chamber and fire them safely.

Jason

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I shoot the Marlin 94 but I too use a lot of 44 special rounds in it. The recoil a lot less than a full powered 44 mag but work well on small game and are just plain fun to shoot. Plus, you may be able to get one extra round in the magazine.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I agree with jodu on shooting the .44 sp out of the Marlin 94. If you have a farm or lake place .44sp is good for varmits and pest with low recoil. They also make good home defence rounds and they are just plain fun to shoot. I also get two (2) extra rounds in my magazine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and good info!
I thought it would work ,but you know what they say about making sure you ALWAYS use approved
ammo in your firearm! My Winchester is marked only for the .44 Rem. Mag. so I was hesitant.
I'm not new to firearms -I just never knew about the .44 special until my brother bought his Henry .44 .

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

Sorry, I didn't notice that you are a new shooter and new to the board. Welcome, it's a good place to hang out even if a few of us are grumpy old men.

If, as you say, you are new, you may not know that shooting 44 Spec. in the 44 Mag chamber can cause problems. The 44 Spec having a shorter case, does not extend the full length of the chamber and leaves a small space between the case mouth and the front of the chamber. A carbon ring can build up in that space after firing a number of 44 Specials in the chamber. Then if the 44 mag cartridge is fired there is not sufficient space for the release of the bullet. High pressure will result and hard extraction may result. The simple solution is to clean the carbon out of the chamber when switching from 44 Special to 44 Magnum ammo. There will be no issues with going from mag to spec. ammo.

This is what the Magnum case looks like when fired in a dirty chamber, after about 50 rounds of Special ammo. Note the ring around the case mouth caused by the carbon build up in the chamber. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
That's some really great information and something I was not aware of...thanks for sharing that!

·
Banned
421 Posts
Thanks !,JBledsoe.
I appreciate those photos.
I suppose the same thing occurs when switching from .22short to .22LR.
Welcome to the forum Jeff!

You are right, the same thing can happen when firing 22 short in a 22LR, and when shooting 38 special in a 357 mag. Keep the chamber clean and there should be no problem. To me it's well worth a little extra work to save a considerable amount of money when target practicing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts