Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When crimping with this die how heavy is heavy? Following the directions by turning the die down to the shell holder then giving it 1/2 turn more....how many more rotations "in" do you consider the crimp to be heavy? I'm working up a load for my 1895G I'm loading Hornady 350gr FP over RL#7.
Thanks,
Toby

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,993 Posts
Each die will crimp a little differently, Toby - about the best I can offer is to follow the mfg's instructions on a few rounds, load them and fire to check and see if they get pushed further into the case or not.

I use the Lee crimp die, myself, and also load to where the powder is a little compressed. This helps to keep the bullet at the proper seating depth. The Lee crimp die is relatively inexpensive and a nice addition to your 3-die loading set.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Toby,

How are things in L.A. (lower arnold)? I'm originally from Fenton, MO. Now i live in Ohio. I used to live on 141hwy between Fenton and Arnold.

Anyway, I use the Lee factory crimp die exclusively in 45/70. I adjusted it just like the directions, then down a 1/4 turn. I get a fairly heavy crimp, which IS nessesary with heavy 45/70 loads in your lever action.

BTW I shoot 45/70 with 300-535gr bullets at MAX velocity out of a NEF Handi-Rifle. My loads aproach Ruger #1 loads and are DEATH at both ends. Probably the hardest kicking gun I've ever fired, and I've fired quite a fre Wheatherby Magnums. This gun is so light that it'll kick the shoot right out of you in short order.

SSB

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Singleshotbuff,

Thanks for the tip. I think I actually ended up using a half turn extra. At that setting it pressed the collet completely closed right at the end of the stroke.

Small world huh! Guess where I live? Right off 141 between Fenton and Arnold. I am on the Arnold, or east, side of Tesson Ferry (Hwy 21).

So what made you pack up and move from this wonderful place?

Toby

·
Registered
184 Posts
Toby,

I used to live right at the corner of 141 & 21. Accross from the "pink elephant". I moved almost 6 years ago, and last time I was back almost didn't recognize the place! Anyway, met a gal from here, fell in love yada, yada. That's how I wound up here north of the artic circle. :D

How do you like that Marlin? Do you have the ported model? I'd like to get one and get rid of this mule I got. Got some good load data if you want it, just e-mail me.

SSB

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I hear ya, your like a buck in rut following the scent.:D :D I know exactly where you are talking about. I live back closer to the highway on the outer service road. The place is growing and honestly thats why my wife and I chose our first house in this area. We have been here 3 years and this year we reappraised and refinanced, the house value has already increased by 35%, not bad, not to mention the interest rate let us get into a 15 year note.

I love my .45-70. I love all Marlins for that matter. Currently I got a 336 30-30, 336 35 Rem, 1895 .45-70, 1894CB 45LC, I'm picking my new 1894CB 44mag tomorrow and got another 1894CB 357mag on order (if you were wondering, I wanted rifles chambered to match each of my favorite revolvers). My .45-70 is the 22" not ported barrel. I got it topped with a 3x9 Leupold. It's performed beautifully on two deer so far. I've recently been experimenting with Hornady 350gr FP. I've worked up loads of 47, 48, 49, 50 and 51gr of RL#7.

I must say that my growing favorite is the 1894C 45LC. Getting ready to mount a rear peep sight on it. All the "old talk" about brass not being strong enough is a bunch of crap. I've been shooting Hornady 250gr XTP's and have slowly worked up to my next batch of 26 and 26.5 gr of H110. I haven't shot through the chrono yet but I'm hoping for 1700-1800 fps. These are are almost equal to .45-70 factory loads and the recoil is moderate at the most. Soon to test but I expect that I will be pushing the bigger .45 bullets faster than the .44's and doing it with less pressure and recoil.

I would love to see some of your data. Send what you can to [email protected]

We need longer hunting season to use all these guns.:confused: :confused:

Toby

·
Registered
471 Posts
Lee factory crimp is the best, but one thing not brought up, never over tighten this will damage the die. When the spaces between the metal is closed you are at full crimp, just a heads up;) Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts